Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was so kind of those Commie laborers to throw tin in front of the camera to heighten the drama.

Just kidding.   :D

It's great footage-- I greatly enjoyed it.  

Like many, I'm aghast at the stupidity of the people on the street.  While I think we can all agree that the extreme Red Alert lockdowns in Western Australia are way over the top, this behavior in China is ridiculous to the other extreme.  There's a basic lack of common sense here.  Do these people also put their hands on hot stoves and drink floor polish?

Haha glad you enjoyed it Josh. Yeah it was really quite surreal to see so many people out in such dangerous conditions, it certainly made for some interesting shots.

I see Pewa could be tapping into some of the Wpac magic and become a good ACE maker, we still have some catching up to do. Closer to home TS Trami has just formed (not sure what to make of that name...) and could threaten Taiwan as a low end typhoon next week. There are some specific flood shots I'm after in northern Taiwan so I may well be going after Trami. 

Here's the seminal paper on this type of genesis: http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/mjd/papers/MRGsubmit.pdf

great, thanks!

--------------------------------

anyway, i wonder if there's a name/explanation for this feature:

iz1gdk.jpg

i always see it in strong convection; it's can't be the eye. and it looks like the LLCC is still displaced to the northeast... very interesting though

great, thanks!

--------------------------------

anyway, i wonder if there's a name/explanation for this feature:

[image]

i always see it in strong convection; it's can't be the eye. and it looks like the LLCC is still displaced to the northeast... very interesting though

Looks like an enhanced v signature. Sign of strong updrafts:

http://profhorn.aos.wisc.edu/wxwise/AckermanKnox/chap11/enhanced_v.html

Should be interesting to see the binary interaction between Pewa and newly named Unala. Pewa is obviously the much stronger system, and the vortex capture process of Unala might help to make Pewa larger, as suggested by the GFS. The ECMWF is showing a very interesting interaction with the upper level low upstream, which could further enlarge the circulation of Pewa. This could be one of those cases that a very small TC becomes a very large TC over time. 

Some more Chinacane madness footage, this time from a large dam in Taiwan I was filming this morning. Over 600mm of rain made for a spectacular scene! :D

Josh will find this HAWT :P

Hush.  :D

For a water event, I have to say, it's pretty intense!  I'll give ya that much.  Too bad you didn't try to navigate that torrent in a blow-up boat.

• 2 weeks later...

So what are folks thinking about the model evolution for 17W and potential threat to Taiwan?

Tropical storm Usagi now, the formation of this system was handled excellently by the models over the last few days. It looks like the 12z - 00z runs have jogged north slightly suggesting greater chances of an impact on Taiwan. ECMWF was previously the southern most outlier and it jogged north for a Taiwan hit in 12z, 00z will roll soon...

Models and tracks have swung south somewhat but until Usagi gets its butt moving there will still be a large amount of uncertainty. My current thinking is this will miss Taiwan. Right now ECMWF in recent 00z is painting a rather interesting picture for my neck of the woods 96hrs out... 

Yeah, I would say that is interesting, LOL!  It's looking increasingly better organized right now.

seems like JTWC is underestimating with a 90-kt sustained on their current warning and "only" a 115-kt peak intensity... (?) eye continues to clear out and shear remains manageable and OHC is still high; could probably become a cat-4 in the next 24 hours, no??

----- Current Analysis -----

Date :  19 SEP 2013    Time : 033000 UTC

Lat :   17:23:02 N     Lon :  128:06:29 E

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax 5.3 / 957.3mb/ 97.2kt

Final T#  Adj T#  Raw T#

4.9     5.4     6.2

Estimated radius of max. wind based on IR :N/A km

Center Temp : -40.9C    Cloud Region Temp : -80.1C

Scene Type : EYE 

Positioning Method : SPIRAL ANALYSIS

Ocean Basin : WEST PACIFIC 

Dvorak CI > MSLP Conversion Used : PACIFIC