• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

I might as well start this thread since someone has just broached the taboo on starting tropical threads under names other than Josh's or Adam's.  :violin:

Peak season is some months away, but past experience shows that neutral-warm ENSO years with a slow-moving MJO centered in this region can often produce some of the most intense storms. I think we will see at least four +140-kt cyclones with a tendency to track more to the NE this year, i.e. toward the Ryukyus and Japanese islands, as in 2004.

Thoughts?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

'Tis a shame the storm 'Yagi' apparently won't be as cool sounding as the name 'Yagi'.

B. TD 03W IS EXPECTED TO BECOME MORE CONSOLIDATED IN THE NEXT 12
HOURS AND BEGIN TO ACCELERATE NORTHWESTWARD THROUGH TAU 48 ALONG THE
WESTERN EXTENSION OF THE STEERING RIDGE. GENERAL INTENSIFICATION IS
FORECAST THROUGH TAU 48 AS SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES AND THE UPPER-
LEVEL ENVIRONMENT REMAIN FAVORABLE, ALLOWING FOR A PEAK INTENSITY OF
50 KNOTS. AFTER TAU 48, THE SUBTROPICAL STEERING RIDGE IS EXPECTED
TO MODIFY AND BEGIN TO RE-ORIENT DUE TO MIDLATITUDE INTERACTION.
THIS WILL DRIVE TD 03W ON A MORE POLEWARD TRACK TOWARDS JAPAN
THROUGH TAU 72. ADDITIONALLY AFTER TAU 48, INTENSITIES WILL BEGIN TO
DROP AS SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES BECOME UNFAVORABLE (<26 DEGREES
CELSIUS) NEAR LATITUDE 25N, AND VWS WILL BEGIN TO INCREASE.
DYNAMIC
MODEL GUIDANCE IS IN TIGHT AGREEMENT THROUGH TAU 72 AND LENDS TO
HIGH CONFIDENCE IN THIS PORTION OF THE FORECAST.

Hello all!

My first post here. I'm based in Hong Kong and have an (un)healthy interest in typhoons! :)

Yagi has been lurking south of Tokyo for a few days as an impressive looking yet naked swirl. Looks like Invest 91W will be the next play maker out here with model consensus developing it into the 4th named storm next week and taking it in the general direction of Taiwan or Okinawa.

Cheers,

James

I might as well start this thread since someone has just broached the taboo on starting tropical threads under names other than Josh's or Adam's.  :violin:

Peak season is some months away, but past experience shows that neutral-warm ENSO years with a slow-moving MJO centered in this region can often produce some of the most intense storms. I think we will see at least four +140-kt cyclones with a tendency to track more to the NE this year, i.e. toward the Ryukyus and Japanese islands, as in 2004.

Thoughts?

Actually, I started a WPAC thread with TD 01W in January but it got ost in the scroll

Steve

Hello all!

My first post here. I'm based in Hong Kong and have an (un)healthy interest in typhoons! :)

Yagi has been lurking south of Tokyo for a few days as an impressive looking yet naked swirl. Looks like Invest 91W will be the next play maker out here with model consensus developing it into the 4th named storm next week and taking it in the general direction of Taiwan or Okinawa.

Cheers,

James

Got videos?

Hush Josh - and thanks for the welcome Patrick!

Yes Ed that's my work and I've got plenty more videos here - http://www.youtube.com/user/TyphoonHunter

91W was designated a warned tropical depression overnight by JMA and is expected to be named within the next 24 hours. Looks like it will blow through the southern Ryuku islands over the next few days. Model consensus quite tight on this one. Next name is Leepi contributed by Laos and is "the most beautiful waterfall in S Laos..." random!

yeah, that should be his.. anyway, welcome to the forum James!!

looks like we got another system forming, just east of the PH (91W)...

2hp0qiw.jpg

just a TCFA from JTWC although JMA already up to a TD... models not so bullish though...

Kadena is at its first TCOOR 3 of 2013...

Invest 94W in S China Sea looking impressive right now, curved banding starting to appear and very deep convection. Model consensus does develop this system over the next few days so I wouldn't be surprised to see TS Bebinca form out of this. It could bring some stormy weather to Hong Kong this weekend.

post-9298-0-04108000-1371647339_thumb.jp

Well Bebinca never won the battle against shear, however it's not unusual to see sheared systems in the S China Sea in June like Bebinca. This storm actually reminds me a lot of recent systems such as tropical storm Nangka in 09, Haima and Sarika in 2011 and Doksuri last year.

Won't be long before the shear relaxes and the threat of "red meat" tropical systems exists in the SCS ie. Vicente last July.

Also of interest was the west shift in the modelling and forecasts for Bebinca. I've noticed this happen a lot in the past (models underestimating the strength of the ridge?) and will be interesting to see if this occurs with other storms near East Asian landmass this season.

Nope. We're currently at the 8th latest date for a TY to form in the WPAC. 

what's the latest?

it's kinda quiet here, yeah it's only late June, but last year we already had 2 typhoons (one was a STY) and it doesn't look like there's gonna be much activity in the coming week or so... getting antsy... :violin:

Tropical storm Soulik just formed and looks like it could be the first typhoon of the season. Current forecast tracks suggest a classic straight runner into Taiwan or the Ryuku islands with a strong ridge of high pressure in place. The 00z model runs (24 hours ago) flipped a switch and went from originally forecasting a weak TS into blowing Soulik up into a very strong storm (especially ECMWF and GFS.)

I'm confident this could become a very strong typhoon later in the week.

Interesting it appeared to form from an upper level low out near Wake island, which isn't typically something you see out here in Wpac. Going to be an interesting one to track this! 

Terrain is the biggest limiting factor for chasing in this region with portions of Taiwan's east coast and NE Luzon, Philippines being extremely mountainous. China's a pain in the butt with its restrictions on hiring cars as a foreigner but it's doable (I've chased there before.)

Other than that everywhere's game with the exception of N Korea of course! 

Archived