Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not annular, microwave shows numerous outer bands.

I looked just on regular satellite product, there is at least one spiral band.  I've seen outflow channels that are shaped like spiral bands in a still image, but that wasn't an outflow channel on that loop

IIRC, annular storms usually prefer cooler water than 28 or 29º

mean, standard deviation, min and max below

SST (°C)  26.7  0.7  25.4  28.4

2013189npsst.png

Admittedly one of the oddest microwave image's I've seen. It's not handling that dry air well.

attachicon.gif20130711.2118.trmm.x.tmi_85h.07WSOULIK.95kts-952mb-230N-1267E.61pc.jpg

Its doesn't look that odd to me. The outer eyewall is attempting to get established as the inner eyewall continues to gradually degrade. This is a pretty common microwave pass for many large TCs in the West Pacific undergoing a ERC.  

Its doesn't look that odd to me. The outer eyewall is attempting to get established as the inner eyewall continues to gradually degrade. This is a pretty common microwave pass for many large TCs in the West Pacific undergoing a ERC.

I think it's an ERC too, but at 200 mi in diameter, that is still a "huge-azz" secondary eye and it will take awhile for it to contract and re-strengthen.

Lolz, that is a little weird-looking.  It's that WPAC-cinnabun thing.  That big, arcing feature is either a really intense feeder band or the beginnings of a big-azz eye.  The system looks much better on IR.

These large ERC often take a long time to complete, and very large eyewalls are more susceptible to dry air intrusions just owing to the fact they are larger in areal extent and thus more susceptible to vertical wind shear on the outer quadrants of the TC. In this case, there is a little bit of outflow restriction in the NW quadrant of Soulik due to a weak ull on the China coastline and even that touch of vertical wind shear might be enough to keep the storm from being fully symmetrical.

Large TCs that peak with a large eye have a very hard time regaining their former glory after undergoing ERC unless the atmospheric conditions are perfect. Isabel in 2003 was a perfect example.  

I think it's an ERC too, but at 200 mi in diameter, that is still a "huge-azz" secondary eye and it will take awhile for it to contract and re-strengthen.

It is a bit unusual, but not unprecedented. Jelawat (2000) was probably the craziest example of a TC starting with a small eye and then post ERC obtaining a massive Annular like appearance. I don't think Soulik will get there based on the time it has left and the aforementioned outflow restrictions.

mtuhc.jpg

Km/hr is like talking in Swahili on this board.   :D

I can handle meters/second, double that and it is very close to wind speed in knots.  Anyway, http://www.srh.noaa.gov/epz/?n=wxcalc_windconvert says 135 k/hr is 84 mph.

I'm guessing the loss of the eye and the cooling cloud tops is West winds South of the center riding up the mountains.  I'd guess the rainfall, even for a TC, is rather intense.

post-138-0-13381000-1373670460_thumb.gif

I can handle meters/second, double that and it is very close to wind speed in knots.  Anyway, http://www.srh.noaa.gov/epz/?n=wxcalc_windconvert says 135 k/hr is 84 mph.

I'm guessing the loss of the eye and the cooling cloud tops is West winds South of the center riding up the mountains.  I'd guess the rainfall, even for a TC, is rather intense.

Thanks for posting the loop. Yeah, it looks like a combo of dry air and inflow from the mountains were the culprits.  The JTWC's call of 80 kt near landfall seems about right.

Archived