Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it safely back to Hong Kong.

Soulik made landfall at the WORST possible time for trying to film a TC, around 3am. So by the time it was light and the show was winding down I was totally burnt out and done with filming any more. I was on the extreme southern periphery of the eye and experienced a noticeable lull in winds for about 20 minutes. As usual in Taiwan the back end was more rain than extreme winds due to the mountains taking the punch out of it.

From a chasing perspective Soulik was an odd storm but rewarding nonetheless. I was lucky to hole up in the few spots on that stretch of coast which still had power thus I was able to film. Actually the bend palms were filmed in the exact same port I rode out Sinlaku in 2008, now that was a red meat landfall!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZqLHgnaO7k

• 2 weeks later...

Tropical storm Jebi in the centre of S China Sea right now, quite a large system bringing squally showers to us in Hong Kong despite being so far away. Seems this will be the aperitif before the main action. Models forecasting 94W for cross Philippines and develop into a tropical storm, may well affect same areas as Jebi (Hainan and S China.)

Now what's really got my eye is what the models are showing after 94W. GFS especially showing solid consistency in forming a huge typhoon in about 7 - 10 days. ECMWF on board and other models hinting at this too. If this trend continues wouldn't be surprised to see a major typhoon on our hands end of next week.

While certainly not all that interesting from a sensible weather point of view, the models are showing something meteorologically cool for next week. A mixed Rossby-gravity wave emanating from TD 11 is modeled to enhance convection near Taiwan and both the Euro and GFS to varying degrees show a TC possibly forming from it. It's not terribly uncommon for these type of genesis events to occur in the West Pac, but I think modeling it 7 days out probably is pretty rare.

While certainly not all that interesting from a sensible weather point of view, the models are showing something meteorologically cool for next week. A mixed Rossby-gravity wave emanating from TD 11 is modeled to enhance convection near Taiwan and both the Euro and GFS to varying degrees show a TC possibly forming from it. It's not terribly uncommon for these type of genesis events to occur in the West Pac, but I think modeling it 7 days out probably is pretty rare.

Ha! I knew there was something a little odd with that depiction. Cool physics going down there.

Philippines Sea doing what it usually does - hawtest TC real estate on the planet! :P

Yeah, I think if RI happens, it happens before Luzon. Once in the SCS, shear will be moderate to high.

Have you got a link to shear forecast? It's looking pretty low in SCS right now and models all blow Utor back up quite impressively once it's crossed Luzon. Now I was mulling over an intercept in Luzon but decided to wait and see what will happen once it enters the SCS. There's a remote chance it could affect HK so I'd hate to be stranded in rural Philippines whilst HK gets clobbered. Besides Utor looks to hit the most intercept unfriendly stretch of coast in the entire basin, no roads within 40km of the coastline and lots of mountains there!

Worthy of uploaded satellite loops

UW - CIMSS                    
              ADVANCED DVORAK TECHNIQUE      
                  ADT-Version 8.1.4               
         Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm      

----- Current Analysis -----
     Date :  11 AUG 2013    Time : 090000 UTC
      Lat :   15:21:05 N     Lon :  123:56:14 E

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax 6.1 / 942.1mb/117.4kt
             Final T#  Adj T#  Raw T#
                6.1     6.2     7.4

Estimated radius of max. wind based on IR : 14 km

Center Temp :  +3.2C    Cloud Region Temp : -79.6C

Scene Type : EYE 

Positioning Method : RING/SPIRAL COMBINATION

Ocean Basin : WEST PACIFIC 
Dvorak CI > MSLP Conversion Used : PACIFIC  

Tno/CI Rules : Constraint Limits : 1.7T/6hr
                   Weakening Flag : OFF  
           Rapid Dissipation Flag : OFF  

post-138-0-67649500-1376214391_thumb.gif

post-138-0-67930700-1376214415_thumb.gif

130kt Super Typhoon now as per JTWC... however, the eye looks ragged and kinda worse than it did about 3 hours ago...

I think the very tiny warm spot, only a pixel or three inside eye surrounded by -80C eyewall is infrared depiction of a 'stadium effect' type eye.

post-138-0-12276000-1376233051_thumb.jpg

Archived