• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

Looks nice with a small but defined eye. Spiral banding is great as well. However, it's evident on conventional satellite imagery that a tongue of dry air is attempting to wrap into the core. This entrainment process may be aided by some modest easterly shear...not noticing much outflow on the east side of the storm compared to the west. Assuming it doesn't allow that dry air to enter the core, this could become a decently strong cyclone.

964mb on the 0z GFS prior to landfall:

MZkT0Vp.png

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The radar is awesome and this is a really hawt cyclone.

One thing to point out, though: the China and Taiwan radars use a color scale that's similar to ours but not the same-- meaning their reds aren't the same as our reds. I think much lower reflectivity gets the red color on theirs, so that to our eyes, their radar shots look a little hawter than they are.

But, again, this is not to take away from what is obviously an awesome system that I sure as hell would be thrilled to chase.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/adt/odt20W.html

Raw T 5.9 ADJT 4.4  Final T 4.1.

They put a .5T per hour restriction on it also.  I don't know if this is the logic for dropping the T5.8 to a T4.1.

I don't know exactly how the ADT works, but until a well defined eye becomes apparent on IR, I think ADT will low ball WuTip.

UW - CIMSS                    

ADVANCED DVORAK TECHNIQUE      

ADT-Version 8.1.5               

Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm      

----- Current Analysis -----

Date :  29 SEP 2013    Time : 043000 UTC

Lat :   16:44:01 N     Lon :  111:50:49 E

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax 4.4 / 974.6mb/ 74.6kt

Final T#  Adj T#  Raw T#

4.3     4.2     4.2

Center Temp : -62.0C    Cloud Region Temp : -73.3C

Scene Type : EMBEDDED CENTER CLOUD REGION

Positioning Method : SPIRAL ANALYSIS

Ocean Basin : WEST PACIFIC 

Dvorak CI > MSLP Conversion Used : PACIFIC  

Tno/CI Rules : Constraint Limits : NO LIMIT

Weakening Flag : ON   

Rapid Dissipation Flag : OFF  

C/K/Z MSLP Estimate Inputs :

- Average 34 knot radii :   87km

- Environmental MSLP    : 1005mb

Satellite Name :  MTSAT2

Satellite Viewing Angle : 42.5 degrees

post-138-0-42026200-1380433212_thumb.gif

Looking at that loop, it looks like it deteriorates slightly in the last few frames-- that pinhole eye becomes less distinct. Could be normal fluctuations.

The storm is in the early stages of an ERC based on both radar and microwave imagery. Its probably in the 100 knot range right now, but I don't think we will see any additional intensification until the internal structure stabilizes again. Yes the reflectivity looks nice but provides no direct assessment of how strong the winds are without doppler capabilities (something that seems to be absent with most of these radars in the eastern hemisphere).

20130929.0102.f18.composite.20W.WUTIP.90

Taiwan has a decent Doppler network but I can't remember how to access it, I'll have a dig around and see what I can find. Invest 95W looking interesting especially given what Euro and UKMET are showing, a hard hook to the left. JMA warning this as a 30kts TD right now and JTWC have a TCFA up.

I would love this to get named Sepat and be chaseable - 2007's Sepat was an immense cat 5 super typhoon which went on to hit central Taiwan as a cat 3. I was in the northern eyewall and got raked pretty hard hence I'm fond of the name :D

lol, talk about a model consensus for TS Fitow...

5xo5m8.png

The one good thing, my understanding is that the GFDN has one less nested grod than the GFDL, and is initialized and bounded by the NoGAPS.  OK, I assume now it is intialized by the NavGem, but from watching the sad season in the Atlantic, the Canadian would be a better model for initializing and bounding a TC model.  And Josh still has plenty of time, and is willing to island hop.

Now, I am sure he hopes Fitow is better looking by the time it makes landfall, although even your sloppy cyclones still pulling off -80ºC cloud tops is impressive.

post-138-0-91044400-1380725526_thumb.gif

post-138-0-61636100-1380725846_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Wipha is going to be a monster sized Typhoon dwarfing Phailn in shear bulk but not as intense. A near threat to Japan as modeling has trended west, close to becoming a real threat. at sea  IKE during max intensity rivals Katrina for sure. Luckily it appears it will decrease significantly in intensity before it threatens Japan. Definitely something to watch. Down the long road this becomes an Alaskan winter storm in the Bering sea. Attached is the IKE potential versus Katrina , much more impressive than Phailin was bulk wise. Also the Euro and GFS model progs.

Archived