RADIUS OF 050 KT WINDS - 075 NM NORTHEAST QUADRANT
080 NM SOUTHEAST QUADRANT
075 NM SOUTHWEST QUADRANT
075 NM NORTHWEST QUADRANT
RADIUS OF 034 KT WINDS - 130 NM NORTHEAST QUADRANT
135 NM SOUTHEAST QUADRANT
125 NM SOUTHWEST QUADRANT
125 NM NORTHWEST QUADRANT

The tracks from the EURO and GFS are pretty different. GFS is closer to a worse case scenario with more wind and dumping rains, EURO has heavy rains, but not a direct impact.

Okinawa feels the full brunt of Francisco. Doesn't curve away until it gets close to the islands.

I'm not a certified meteorologist or anything, but I think I'm going to have to disagree with the JTWC's assessment of this being a 30kt tropical depression...

You gotta give the JTWC a little extra time before they pick up on immediate trends... they aren't quite as fast to the play as the NHC is with immediate satellite trends, which can be frustrating sometimes. 

Francisco has completed an ERC, so we could see some recovery in its IR storm structure later today. 

20131020.1758.trmm.color37.26W.FRANCISCO

Francisco looks to me like it's slowly unraveling, but I notice the JTWC and JMA have very different initial intensity estimates: 75 kt (1-min) vs. 85 kt (10-min).  That 10-min value converts to ~97 kt (1-min), so they're more than 20 kt apart.  It just goes to show what an inexact science satellite intensity estimates are.

Francisco looks to me like it's slowly unraveling, but I notice the JTWC and JMA have very different initial intensity estimates: 75 kt (1-min) vs. 85 kt (10-min). That 10-min value converts to ~97 kt (1-min), so they're more than 20 kt apart. It just goes to show what an inexact science satellite intensity estimates are.

Or that one agency is grossly overestimating the current intensity ;)... The system is moving over the same waters upwelled by Wipha. Since global models are not directly coupled with the ocean, it's not surprising both the GFS and ECMWF grossly overestimated the current intensity of Francisco at this time.

Or that one agency is grossly overestimating the current intensity ;)... The system is moving over the same waters upwelled by Wipha. Since global models are not directly coupled with the ocean, it's not surprising both the GFS and ECMWF grossly overestimated the current intensity of Francisco at this time.

Makes sense.

The JMA's intensities can be a little weird sometimes.  Like, they seem to be overestimating Francisco, but when we were chasing Fitow, we were appalled at how long it took them to upgrade that one to a typhoon.  It had deep convection fully wrapping around an obvious eye, and they were still only saying 55 kt (10-min) or something like that.  It was crazy.  James-- who follows the JMA really closely-- says they're good with track but often a mess on intensity.

Yeah, regarding intensity you're best off just using your own judgement instead of the agencies out here. Lekima certainly bombing out and JTWC forecasting it to peak as a cat. 5 (140kts.) I mulled over giving a shot at chasing Francisco on Minamidaito but could handle going through the stress of an island chase for a decaying storm, especially after what Josh put me through earlier in the month! :D

Yeah, regarding intensity you're best off just using your own judgement instead of the agencies out here. Lekima certainly bombing out and JTWC forecasting it to peak as a cat. 5 (140kts.) I mulled over giving a shot at chasing Francisco on Minamidaito but could handle going through the stress of an island chase for a decaying storm, especially after what Josh put me through earlier in the month! :D

Ha.  My plan's workin'.  B)

Interestingly I think Lekimia saved Japan from Fransisco. It looks like the Fujiwara is what is keeping Fransisco from making  progressing north and when it finally turns NE, it still has room to miss the coast.

Even if it hit mainland Japan, it would be transitioning crap with the stronger side offshore-- kind of like Wipha last week.

Archived