Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Early March threats - Mar 1st-8th Period

free_man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scary the GFS is so far north at 6 days out. I think we'd be much better off if it was still ots

I think the pendulum could swing quite easily from deep SE suppression to warm occluded mess and back again.  All guidance still takes a strong vortmax deep into the SE... the difference from previous suppressed runs is the extreme negative tilt and retrograding off the Atlantic.  Unlike classical noreasters, I don't think this will simply trend north with the SLP because the midlevel low starts so far southeast and swings out into the Atlantic.  I think the occlusion process and the trof evolution and associated warming off the Atlantic are the keys... and that's probably where we will see trends.  I could see this getting warm... with maybe a CPA jackpot.   It could also easily be a long duration snow bomb.

Precip reaches SW PA in 4 days and NYC in 5.  Slow mover.  This is not so distant midrange, but of course we are likely to see huge changes in modeling.

I kind of don't want this to happen. I'd be shocked if it trended N enough to be a big hit up here.

You'll just have to chase again back home if it ends up as a long duration snow event in SNE...with some enhancement in the hills with both upslope and elevation.

12z GGEM has massive QPF from DC to NYC and through EPA and NJ.  Somebody gets buried on that run... like avalanched, disappeared never to be found again buried.

With something like this it matters exactly where the deepening and closing off occurs. If it occurs too early we could see a big bust (i.e. models printing out 1"-2" of QPF and we wind up dry slotting and getting all sorts of crap precip in here). What you want is a perfectly timed close off/deepening to maximize QG lift overhead. Tough to do. Could be around DC or could be around BOS. The typical rules for east coast cyclogenesis don't necessarily apply here as we're waiting for the block to evolve to determine where the upstream closed low in the omega block develops.

Not a surprise, but GEFS still way SE.

Well the 12z GFS actually takes the SLP way offshore.  With that in mind, the GEFs mean SLP position doesn't look that far SE to me...especially at 120hr and 132hr.  I think it's signaling pretty good support... and has pulled a little closer and wetter the past few runs.

A handful of complete whiffs on the individuals will bias the mean dry.  But the NW members should be wet.

We are seeing more of the energy from the retrograde low in Maine/Quebec phase in with the incoming shortwave from the plains...assisted by a third bit of energy hanging out over the lakes. This is helping us see the further north solutions versus the last couple of days.

With something like this it matters exactly where the deepening and closing off occurs. If it occurs too early we could see a big bust (i.e. models printing out 1"-2" of QPF and we wind up dry slotting and getting all sorts of crap precip in here). What you want is a perfectly timed close off/deepening to maximize QG lift overhead. Tough to do. Could be around DC or could be around BOS. The typical rules for east coast cyclogenesis don't necessarily apply here as we're waiting for the block to evolve to determine where the upstream closed low in the omega block develops.

Great post.  I think the usual... "it's north", "it's suppressed", "it's amped" weenie analyses have even less utility in this scenario than normal.

I kind of don't want this to happen. I'd be shocked if it trended N enough to be a big hit up here.

Rooting for no snow for everyone then? lol, we get snows in different patterns and storms than SNE. I hope they get another biggie...it's be fun to track especially if we aren't in the game. There's something relaxing about tracking weather events that don't impact you as you're not worried the whole time lol.

You've had a rough first winter up there, but you'll get over worrying about down south getting snow with nothing up north. There will always be the storms that snow up here and don't down there. We see plenty of snow in a NNE winter to worry about that stuff, lol.

Great post.  I think the usual... "it's north", "it's suppressed", "it's amped" weenie analyses have even less utility in this scenario than normal.

Look at the GGEM loop on the PSU Ewall. If you look at the 700mb chart look at how much sneaky dry air there is around that 700mb low. 

Look at the GGEM loop on the PSU Ewall. If you look at the 700mb chart look at how much sneaky dry air there is around that 700mb low. 

Looks dry north of the low until late.  Then quick shot of precip before dry slot.  Not very good for NE (excluding southern parts of CT).  The occlusion is too far SW.

Looks dry north of the low until late.  Then quick shot of precip before dry slot.  Not very good for NE (excluding southern parts of CT).  The occlusion is too far SW.

I dunno...I'd be careful at only focusing on where the storm bombs out the most intense. Obviously that is a great spot for ML fronto and QG forcing...but I wouldn't disregard a total firehose coming off the Atlantic in the mid-levels. December 1992 bombed and stalled way to our SW but we didn't have a lack of QPF for sure. There was also a sharp cutoff in that one which is noted.

No two storms are exactly alike, but we've seen storms where we get hammered from strong mid-level inflow off the Atlantic with the best dynamics to our SW...we've also gotten screwed in similar setups. I think its good to look at it from both angles.

Archived