Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Early March threats - Mar 1st-8th Period

free_man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno...I'd be careful at only focusing on where the storm bombs out the most intense. Obviously that is a great spot for ML fronto and QG forcing...but I wouldn't disregard a total firehose coming off the Atlantic in the mid-levels. December 1992 bombed and stalled way to our SW but we didn't have a lack of QPF for sure. There was also a sharp cutoff in that one which is noted.

No two storms are exactly alike, but we've seen storms where we get hammered from strong mid-level inflow off the Atlantic with the best dynamics to our SW...we've also gotten screwed in similar setups. I think its good to look at it from both angles.

This is true, good point.  The firehose off the Atlantic is a possibility, even with the early occlusion.  I think the GGEM panels after 144hr suggest that, and the GFS too.  But I think that also introduces warmer midlevels.  There was a little more leeway with midlevel temps in 1992 IIRC, even though it had a strong elevational dimension.  My hunch is something like a GGEM solution would burn SNE (maybe not in an absolute sense, but compared to the mid-atlantic).  4" isn't a whiff, but compared to 18" it might as well be.  But you're right it's far from a certainty, especially in the hills.

Well the 12z GFS actually takes the SLP way offshore.  With that in mind, the GEFs mean SLP position doesn't look that far SE to me...especially at 120hr and 132hr.  I think it's signaling pretty good support... and has pulled a little closer and wetter the past few runs.

A handful of complete whiffs on the individuals will bias the mean dry.  But the NW members should be wet.

GEFS are well SE, the big precip is nowhere near SNE. It really doesn't mean anything to me now..just pointing it out.

This is true, good point.  The firehose off the Atlantic is a possibility, even with the early occlusion.  I think the GGEM panels after 144hr suggest that, and the GFS too.  But I think that also introduces warmer midlevels.  There was a little more leeway with midlevel temps in 1992 IIRC, even though it had a strong elevational dimension.  My hunch is something like a GGEM solution would burn SNE (maybe not in an absolute sense, but compared to the mid-atlantic).  4" isn't a whiff, but compared to 18" it might as well be.  But you're right it's far from a certainty, especially in the hills.

'92 was actually pretty warm in the mid-levels relatively speaking....here's the loop of it:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1992/us1211.php

But we could def still get screwed if things are slightly off when relying on just a firehose. We tried that on 2/10/10 but the low levels were just destroyed with dry air...thankfully this setup does not look as prone to that as that one did...but at this juncture, that doesn't really mean anything. The guidance is going to change a lot between now and verification. The way they are handling the retrograding energy and the Quebec block has been changing a lot from run to run.

In my world yes lol

The GGEM run is pretty exciting to be sure.  And it's not far off from wet snow blizzard.  But if that exact solution were to verify, I would take the under on that 1-foot call.  Dry air north then a few hours of ripping at 9:1, then some midlevel taint to finish up.  6-8"

Archived