Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Spring

Mr Torchey

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much is usually required to ride?

18" is a decent base, Everytime we got a decent storm, We lost all the snow the next week, We had 1 period back in Jan where we had a 2 week window to ride, The problem is you need to have around 18" so your not hitting stumps rocks etc etc, Thats how you can wreck the sled and get injured as well, Happened to me last year, Went out and rode in marginal conditions and did not see a rock sticking up out of the snow because it was covered, Went half way over the handle bars and sprained my left thumb and wrist, Bent the lower A-arm on the sled, About $350.00 damage, That's the reason you need a good base to cover up the obstacles, Just did not work out this year, The blizzard really was of no use as the snow was so dry and the winds were blowing in the 40 mph range it blew all the snow off the trails and fields into the woods

No he hated the snow pack up there with the ill-timed torches...he is above normal for snowfall.

Understandable for snow mobilers though.

Below normal up here for snowfall and snowpack... still, consistent cover at home from December 16th onward but if winter were to end right now we are like 30-40 inches below normal snowfall in the village, and 100 inches below normal at the mountain.

Tickled 50F today and it felt great... the sun and warmth is like a drug this time of year.

A little cooler today but still nice. Two afternoons of open windows and fresh oxygen in the house has definitely perked the family up. 12" of new snow all gone in two days and back to the scattered dirt covered plow piles left from the blizzard. Euro may say more winter to come, but that's okay. Countdown to pool opening is on!

Widely varying snow amounts around my yard; anywhere from 6 to 16 inches.  Average seems to be about 10 inches; where there's lower amounts the snow is like concrete.  The shade definitely makes a difference; I made a path on the north side of my house where it's fully shaded throughout the day, and the little bit of snow that I left on the bottom hasn't even melted.  

It is weird how those first days in the fall with similar temps feel unpleasantly cold and these days in late winter feel so warm.  I always enjoy the cycle, and appreciate it more after having lived in FL.
The increased sun angle helps this too. Also, 50Fs this time of year is usually accompanied by lighter winds while 50s in October tend to be accompanied by stronger CAA winds. I understand your point though...there's definitely a mental aspect to it too.

Archived