• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Spring

Mr Torchey

End of Met winter stats............................

ORH

December +4.7 18.5 inches of snow

Jan +2.7 7.3 inches of snow

Feb+0.4 44.4 inches of snow     (wonder if there has ever been a warmer/snowier solution than this met winter?)

BOS

DEC +3.7 3.4 inches of snow

Jan +2.5 5.0 inches of snow

FEB -0.6 34 inches of snow

BDL

DEC +3.7 12.9 inches of snow

JAN+2.5 5.9 inches of snow

FEB-0.5 25.4 inches of snow

Warm and snowy, just epic!!  More snow on the way next week?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of Met winter stats............................

ORH

December +4.7 18.5 inches of snow

Jan +2.7 7.3 inches of snow

Feb+0.4 44.4 inches of snow     (wonder if there has ever been a warmer/snowier solution than this met winter?)

BOS

DEC +3.7 3.4 inches of snow

Jan +2.5 5.0 inches of snow

FEB -0.6 34 inches of snow

BDL

DEC +3.7 12.9 inches of snow

JAN+2.5 5.9 inches of snow

FEB-0.5 25.4 inches of snow

Warm and snowy, just epic!!  More snow on the way next week?

wheres BDR? you would think someone who lives about 15 miles from a major climo site would put it in their synopsis, goes to motive?? Dec +4.2 7.8 inches, Jan+2.7 4.7 inches , Feb-1.1 30.4 inches , plus Nov -2.8 8.4 inches which gives  BDR a 4 month  of +1.25 with 51.3 inches of snow, or near normal temps with 183 % of normal snow

wheres BDR? you would think someone who lives about 15 miles from a major climo site would put it in their synopsis, goes to motive?? Dec +4.2 7.8 inches, Jan-2.7 4.7 inches , Feb-1.1 30.4 inches , plus Nov -2.8 8.4 inches which gives  BDR a 4 month  of +0.2 with 51.3 inches of snow, or normal temps with 183 % of normal snow

I think you mean +2.7 for January and there was 8.3 inches of snow in Nov at BDR, however the yearly total seems correct...so maybe Dec is too high?

wheres BDR? you would think someone who lives about 15 miles from a major climo site would put it in their synopsis, goes to motive?? Dec +4.2 7.8 inches, Jan+2.7 4.7 inches , Feb-1.1 30.4 inches , plus Nov -2.8 8.4 inches which gives  BDR a 4 month  of +1.25 with 51.3 inches of snow, or near normal temps with 183 % of normal snow

Are you being serious? + 4.2  +2.7 and -1.1 equals near normal temps for the winter?

SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN  lol near normal winter temps LOL

Are you being serious? + 4.2  +2.7 and -1.1 equals near normal temps for the winter?

SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN SPIN  lol near normal winter temps LOL

November was -3.8F with 4" of snow at Central Park, so you have to factor that in as well.

March also looks like it may end close to or below normal given the cool start. 

Winter is defined as December-February. If you don't stick to the definition of "winter" it becomes hard to compare one location's winter to another's.

Obviously I understand that meteorological winter is DJF, but there's more to it. When I look at grading and classifying winters, I look at the entire cold season. To determine a start and end, I basically ask myself two questions: When did I take out and put my winter jacket away? When did the first and last snowfalls occur? 

Having November check in at -4F with 8.5" of snow here makes this a much better winter because that significantly extended the cold season. I had snow on the ground for a few days in early November, as well as another event, and significant cold shots after Sandy and again later in the month. Thus, November became part of the winter this year as we had days in the 30s and 40s with snow, which is by definition wintry weather. When I walked to work, I was bundled up. When I came home at night, the heat was on and I had snow in my backyard. 

Not accounting for the extremely cold and snowy November and just calling the winter a "torch" is misleading because of what actually happened. Winters like 57-58, 59-60, and 66-67 would look extremely bland on paper if you didn't count March. March 1960 had a 28" blizzard here. March 1958 had two snowfalls near 12". March 1967 had brutally cold temperatures and a major snowstorm, and snow continued into late April that year with 0.2" falling downtown on 4/24/67. Do March temperatures and snow not count either because they're not part of meteorological winter? Again, that's rewriting history.

If you are using strict definitions of meteorological winter...then you use DJF...if you are giving the whole "winter" (as in cold/snow season) a grade, then I usually go beyond the endpoints of met winter...which is almost always a necessity here given the snow climo.

If you are using strict definitions of meteorological winter...then you use DJF...if you are giving the whole "winter" (as in cold/snow season) a grade, then I usually go beyond the endpoints of met winter...which is almost always a necessity here given the snow climo.

Agree violently

This winter was incredible....warm and extremely SNOWy, really can't say how epic it really was. Looks like a dixie delight inbound!

It wasn't that amazing here so far...37" on the season. The one storm makes your average a bit inflated compared to surrounding areas, and also makes it seem like the winter had a snowier cast than it really did. There were weeks and weeks in December and January with nothing on the table. 

My grade for the winter is a C. If we get a decent March, which I think we will, that can be revised. 

ice fisherman are out on the lake, snow in my yard, love the way March started, going to milk it for all its worth. Weeklies look cold. Love it BMSWE1. Best Met Spring Winter Ever part 1

Suffering from bi polar? Last 5 days you have shat on every threat, fat lady humming, just said meh 46 march in like Lion, its been a tough week but look at your last 50 posts and tell me how we should take what you are saying.

Fat lady humming

meh

March in like a lion

norlun nada

Or is it full on winter, you are sending mixed signals that many have picked up on........let us know!

Suffering from bi polar? Last 5 days you have shat on every threat, fat lady humming, just said meh 46 march in like Lion, its been a tough week but look at your last 50 posts and tell me how we should take what you are saying.

Fat lady humming

meh

March in like a lion

norlun nada

Or is it full on winter, you are sending mixed signals that many have picked up on........let us know!

Just trying to keep up with your daily fluctuations, it was a Norlun Nada, the old lady is humming, it is friggin March, March in like a lamb is what I said, truth ruth. We have had no good weather but there is a happy place I am headed.

It wasn't that amazing here so far...37" on the season. The one storm makes your average a bit inflated compared to surrounding areas, and also makes it seem like the winter had a snowier cast than it really did. There were weeks and weeks in December and January with nothing on the table. 

My grade for the winter is a C. If we get a decent March, which I think we will, that can be revised. 

22.5 inches here for the season, so if we're done with snow, we will finish a good half foot below normal.

22.5 inches here for the season, so if we're done with snow, we will finish a good half foot below normal.

I'm surprised you got so little...we had 17" in the blizzard, and some people just east like Scarsdale had closer to 20". How much fell in Greenwich?

Also, did you miss the 3.5" we got on 12/29 or the other late December events? That total seems low.

I would think you average close to 35" depending on exactly where you are. In any case, I doubt we are done. I think we get one major storm and one moderate event in March, with the second event occurring in the 15-20th time frame when the Aleutian Low/+PNA is forecast to develop. 

I'm surprised you got so little...we had 17" in the blizzard, and some people just east like Scarsdale had closer to 20". How much fell in Greenwich?

Also, did you miss the 3.5" we got on 12/29 or the other late December events? That total seems low.

I would think you average close to 35" depending on exactly where you are. In any case, I doubt we are done. I think we get one major storm and one moderate event in March, with the second event occurring in the 15-20th time frame when the Aleutian Low/+PNA is forecast to develop. 

I'm on the water, so I average about 28 inches I would estimate. The Stamford 5N co-op averages 31, and I'm definitely below that, but do better than LGA obviously. We had 15 inches in the blizzard and were sitting at 7.5 before that. The November storm dropped 4 which was the second biggest storm of the season if memory serves correctly.

Archived