Newest Member
    amirah5
Spring

Mr Torchey

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodmorning!

0.78 inches of rain overnight and still raining lightly.

0.01 inches of snow since the blizzard.

Just 2 short days until MET spring starts, finally have a good bit of grass showing, looks like continued melting through at least late Thursday, hopefully we can be just down to piles when we ring in the new season.

So when will our first shot at widespread 60s be? Certainly not in the next couple weeks. Any thoughts on the 2nd half of March?

I hope it waits until April...........as I say every year, I prefer the more gradual transition, I like things to bloom when they are supposed to  the last couple years have been ridiculous and have messed with business.  Not fun having perennials blooming in April........or going to Dogwood festivals in May only to find out they have already bloomed.

Easy sticckkkk

I hope it waits until April...........as I say every year, I prefer the more gradual transition, I like things to bloom when they are supposed to the last couple years have been ridiculous and have messed with business. Not fun having perennials blooming in April........or going to Dogwood festivals in May only to find out they have already bloomed.

Easy sticckkkk

I'm not like you at all. March - early May in New England is my least favorite time of year. Too many damp days with clouds and drizzle and temps in the 40s for my liking. Chances for snow down here on the shoreline as you know are rarely more promising than early November threats. While I don't like going straight to summer...I need at least a few days of sun and 60+ weather scattered throughout to help me make in until mid May when backdoor cold fronts and cutoff lows begin to lose their bite.

I'm not like you at all. March - early May in New England is my least favorite time of year. Too many damp days with clouds and drizzle and temps in the 40s for my liking. Chances for snow down here on the shoreline as you know are rarely more promising than early November threats. While I don't like going straight to summer...I need at least a few days of sun and 60+ weather scattered throughout to help me make in until mid May when backdoor cold fronts and cutoff lows begin to lose their bite.

Well, you have had a great ride the last few years plenty of very warm springs, I cant remember a spring that was cloudy and 40s here, but I guess the further east you are the worse it gets.  Less snow in the winter east coastal and more cold in the spring, brutal existence.

Actually I can't complain too much about snow here relatively speaking. Being a few miles inland and not sitting right at sea level tends to help us out in those borderline events. We've had snow events where we can eek out 2-3 inches while just 3 miles south on the water there's a slushy coating. You really have to get east of the CT river to find CT's true snow hole.

And of course not every spring day is dreary and 40s...but it happens often enough and often for days on end. Of course we can break 50 on those same days in April when we really 'torch'. Just not my idea of spring. Give me wall to wall sun with temps in the 60s any day over that easterly flow vomit.

Being from the south, I'd think you would understand.

We've been lucky last couple years...thinking this is the year our luck runs out, hence my pessimistic demeanor.

Actually I can't complain too much about snow here relatively speaking. Being a few miles inland and not sitting right at sea level tends to help us out in those borderline events. We've had snow events where we can eek out 2-3 inches while just 3 miles south on the water there's a slushy coating. You really have to get east of the CT river to find CT's true snow hole.

And of course not every spring day is dreary and 40s...but it happens often enough and often for days on end. Of course we can break 50 on those same days in April when we really 'torch'. Just not my idea of spring. Give me wall to wall sun with temps in the 60s any day over that easterly flow vomit.

Being from the south, I'd think you would understand.

We've been lucky last couple years...thinking this is the year our luck runs out, hence my pessimistic demeanor.

I get it.  I grew up in Philly area and the difference b/w here and there with regard to spring is astounding...once you get S and W of NYC it's a whole different world.   We've had years here with almost no spring...and then June comes and bam!  Right into summer...I have really enjoyed the last 3 yrs though.

Some chilly days ahead, but things do not look nearly as bad for early spring as they did just a few days ago, looks like the blocking is backing off a bit and the flow will at times be more progressive continuing the dominate them of the winter.  It will be interesting to see if the coastal plain can get into some snow action over the next ten days. I think its likely there will be a nickel event or two, but not sold on the big one thats been advertised on ensembles off and on over the last week.

Interesting times, one thing is for certain, there will be no widespread torch the first half of March this year unless something changes drastically.

Ease into spring stiiiiiiiiiiick

Please Dear Lord let the misery end........another cloudy rainy day, thats all its been down here since Feb 9th.  A horrific stretch of winter post blizzard.........ONE more day until Met SPING, a hurdle of sorts, less than two weeks until its light out until 730 pm yay!  Only 32 more days until lent is over and I can have a cocktail.

Snowpack has been obliterated........a few patches and piles, that is it

Its just about time that the Reverend started the lawn and garden thread

the only thing i may look fwd to in spring that i can think of atm is the girls laying out on the lawn of various colleges tanning there bodies. In ema spring is usually a 4 letter word.  40's fog and light E winds.....oh ya baby!

i rememba my first gaunt back to beantown in 09....i took the ferry from boston to manchester/salem ......it was AUGUST....i was pretty nippy on the ride over on the boat ....low 60's and fog......and wind.....only to break out into mid 70's and sun when i arrived in salem.  Man i can't wait to start my spring softball league and hit a few

With no reasoning whatsoever....my gut is telling me we won't be getting any more snow this year...at least in the valley....sayonara winter...blizzard was fun....the rest of winter meh.....see ya in 8 months....

Yep....pretty sure this verifies....I'll be installing my AC units in a couple of weeks.....

Sure why not!  Lets lock in the 150 hr Euro!  Meanwhile its partly sunny mid to upper 40s for you and I today!

Enjoy.

I hope to enjoy...had to get a cord of firewood the other day to get me through the next couple weeks...but with the snow cover it had to be dropped at the end of the driveway. Lots of carting back to the woodpile to be done. 

Archived