northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PennLive hed: Central PA could see 10 inches of snow by midweek http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/03/snow_storm_harrisburg.html#incart_river_default WTF.

Saw that. Already got several e-mails about it as well. It's stuff like this, man, that make me go nuts! It's way too early to be making a call like that...

0z Euro is a little south of 12z... not a big enough shift or any changes to cause any panic though

Ehh it let the wind out of my sails a bit. Other 0z guidance was north I really expected a nice euro run but this was a letdown. This isn't the gfs we can't count on a north trend when the euro is south. Also getting into light precip won't do good we need to be in the .75 + qpf to get any sig accum because of surface temps.

Judging by text data I don't think anyone in PA except for like Washington, PA in the far southwest had even a tenth of QPF from the Euro. 

So tonight we have the GFS delivering decent snow to about the southwest third of PA, the GEFS mean running the .5 contour along I-80 and the .75 contour roughly along the turnpike. The GGEM delivers decent precip to the southern half of PA (QPF coverage kinda looks similar to GEFS). And last and definitely least comes the Euro with pretty much nothing in PA.    

03 SREFs still bringing the heat.. now basically having enough agreement amongst members to have a near certainty of 1"+ for a large portion of PA all the way out at 84 hours with high probs of 4+ in the south central and modest 8+ probs more in the southern tier of counties. 

post-1507-0-58604600-1362298175_thumb.gi

03 SREFs still bringing the heat.. now basically having enough agreement amongst members to have a near certainty of 1"+ for a large portion of PA all the way out at 84 hours with high probs of 4+ in the south central and modest 8+ probs more in the southern tier of counties. 

attachicon.giff12s84-1.gif

Pretty dang good agreement too.

f81.gif

CTP disco was pretty interesting. 

.LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/... 09Z UPDATE... THE MAIN FOCUS OF THIS EXTENDED PERIOD CONTINUES TO BE MODEL HANDLING OF MIDWEEK STORM SYSTEM...WHICH HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL TO CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PA. WITHOUT BEING TOO REACTIVE TO THE LATEST RUNS AND ENSEMBLES... IT IS CLEAR THAT THE NAM/SREF/GFS/GEM ARE IN A DIFFERENT CAMP THAN THE ECMWF...AS THE FORMER HAS TRENDED FARTHER NORTH OVER THE PAST 24 TO 36 HOURS WHILE THE EURO CONTINUES TO MIRROR PREVIOUS (2 DAY OLD) RUNS OF THE GFS KEEPING MOST QPF SOUTH OF THE MASON/DIXON. THINK THE OVERALL MESSAGE IS THAT THE AMERICAN AND CANADIAN MODELS ARE KEEPING THE PRIMARY LOW STRONGER WITH DELAYED COASTAL PHASING... PERHAPS QUITE SIMILAR TO THE LAST UNPHASED MILLER-B SYSTEM WE SAW LAST FRIDAY. GFS EVEN INTRODUCES A DRY SLOT INTO WV WITH 850 TEMPS ABOVE ZERO NOSING TOWARDS THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS EARLY WEDNESDAY AS A RESULT OF THE DELAYED 2NDARY DEVELOPMENT. OF COURSE...3 DAYS OUT THESE DETAILS WILL CHANGE...BUT IT`S WORTH ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE WHY OUR MODELS ARE SHIFTING QPF NORTHWARD WHILE THE PREVAILING DOWNSTREAM BLOCK REMAINS IN PLACE...AND THE ECMWF FOR NOW ISN`T SHOWING THE SAME TREND. WITH THE ABOVE IN MIND...TWEAKED POPS...QPF AND SNOWFALL TOWARD THE SREF AND GFS SOLUTIONS...BUT USED ONLY 50% OF THE GFS QPF AT THIS TIME FOR THE SOUTHERN THIRD OF CENTRAL PA. SHOULD THE TREND CONTINUE...IT IS POSSIBLE THAT CENTRAL PA BECOMES THE SWEET SPOT BETWEEN THE DECAYING PRIMARY AND 2NDARY COASTAL DEVELOPMENT. AT THIS TIME HOWEVER...STILL EXPECT THE GREATEST PROBABILITY OF HEAVY SNOW OVER NORTHERN VIRGINIA AND MARYLAND...WHICH IS THE CONSENSUS SOLUTION AT THIS TIME.

Also, one has to consider the trajectory this system is taking. This isn't going to be a southern branch wave trying to push its way northeast out of the Gulf, but one that is dropping into the central states from Canada. The block will force this system southeast to a degree,but if the primary is far enough NE before it starts to transfer, then it is going to hang the precip shield in a nw-se fashion across some or alot of Central PA. I personally think the Euro is too far south with this.. but it is also entirely possible that things start converging somewhere in the middle and that would make this more of a turnpike and south type event.

I like where I sit down here for this one.  We get less qpf than to the SW but temps would compensate some as to ratios as well as the elevation here right on the MD border.  I hope the precip shield expands some to get our northern crew in on some fun. Either way will be interesting to see how it pans out.   

I like where I sit down here for this one.  We get less qpf than to the SW but temps would compensate some as to ratios as well as the elevation here right on the MD border.  I hope the precip shield expands some to get our northern crew in on some fun. Either way will be interesting to see how it pans out.   

I don't know.  I am in York County (a bit north of you) and I am worried.  We'll see.

Harrisburg likely is going to be cut off or in heavy precip. State College to Selinsgrove to Pottsville North and East..your goose is likely cooked.

Is there any chance you'd consider waiting a little longer before you begin raining on the parade?

Archived