joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 4

hm8

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is certainly room for a storm to cut west with weak NAO blocking...I still don't like that the ridging out west is on the flatter side, causing the trough to be a bit progressive and not allowing it to fully amplify till it is right on top of our region...but with no strong -NAO, a phase before the Apps would certainly make things interesting for the eastern Lakes and Ohio Valley...just too early to pin that down. GGEM has been consistent showing a more phased solution for a few runs now, although the Euro and to some extent the GFS have been just as consistent in saying no.

post-525-0-23034100-1360648946_thumb.gif

00z GFS ensemble members have some seriously dynamic looking solutions once this western troughing/negative height anomaly sets up at around 192-216 hrs, with one or perhaps multiple very impressive systems potentially. Keep an eye on this period, this might be a good time to look for a big one.

They are cranking both the ST and Pacific Jets into high gear with phasing as well.

Yup, one random snowy solution in the 12z CMC ENS.  Figures that one solution would be the Op tonight, haha.

mgram_precip_Chicago.png

Interesting clustering around D10-11 though.  Looks like 5 members with at least somewhat of a snow event for Chicago.  Could just be a Clipper for all we know, though.

I hate when you go to bed with ggem/nogaps/ncep visions of snowstorms dancing in your head only to wake up to a bucket of cold water thrown at you by the laughing euro.   I suspect the hr 168 threat gets squashed and the 192 hr threat cuts far west....or vice vesa...we'll see.

JB actually calling for a MORCH.   The only time he nails longrange is when he is calling for warmth, so there might be something to this.  I hope he's right.

I hate when you go to bed with ggem/nogaps/ncep visions of snowstorms dancing in your head only to wake up to a bucket of cold water thrown at you by the laughing euro.   I suspect the hr 168 threat gets squashed and the 192 hr threat cuts far west....or vice vesa...we'll see.

JB actually calling for a MORCH.   The only time he nails longrange is when he is calling for warmth, so there might be something to this.  I hope he's right.

And DT agrees....that would be 3 winters in a row of a Morch, no? That is pretty unreal.

I never understand why people who live in a big city complain about weather.... ever.

Try finding a job in a location that gets 150 inches a year.... not happening.

Buffalo would be the biggest city with a decent amount of jobs that would offer that experience. Or live 15 miles south of Buffalo and get 120 inches a year, or 25 miles south and get 200 inches per year, average commute for me to downtown is 20-25 minutes and I get to drive down the lake the entire time, its beautiful. ^_^

Archived