• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 4

hm8

IWX putting the GGEM on the back-burner for the weekend storm but not completely discounting it's solution...

WHILE AN OUTLIER...SEVERAL RUNSOF THE GEM NHEM MODEL HAVE BEEN SHOWING PHASING OF N/S STREAMSYSTEMS SOONER THAN LATER WITH A STORM AFFECTING THE GREAT LAKES VSEAST COAST. ECMWF/GFS DO NOT PHASES THE ENERGY UNTIL REACHING EASTCOAST SO AT THIS POINT HAVE TO PUT IT ON THE BACK BURNER BUT WILLNEED TO WATCH.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IWX putting the GGEM on the back-burner for the weekend storm but not completely discounting it's solution...

WHILE AN OUTLIER...SEVERAL RUNSOF THE GEM NHEM MODEL HAVE BEEN SHOWING PHASING OF N/S STREAMSYSTEMS SOONER THAN LATER WITH A STORM AFFECTING THE GREAT LAKES VSEAST COAST. ECMWF/GFS DO NOT PHASES THE ENERGY UNTIL REACHING EASTCOAST SO AT THIS POINT HAVE TO PUT IT ON THE BACK BURNER BUT WILLNEED TO WATCH.

IWX = :weenie:

skilling was my fav met growing up.  age has done something to him. living all my life in sw mi and n in, chi forecast were relevant to me.  he was the god!

his rpm should burn in hell.

I think the social media has influenced him a bit, not necessarily age. He's still very good at forecasting.

I believe Mr. Skilling first hit the airwaves here on Channel 9 back about 1978, or so..... He has been my favorite TV met ever since.....

We can do without a repeat of last March. In fact, we can do without a repeat of all of last spring and summer.    I would love to see another snow storm, a decent one before Winter fades out on us, but, I don't want to jinx it by quoting odds.  I'll just wait and watch. 

Here's a snippet from the forecaster at the NWS office in the Quad Cities. The only sentences you NEED to understand are the last one and a half!!! ECMWF/GFS REMARKABLY SIMILAR IN BRINGING A SIGNIFICANT SNOW STORM TO

MUCH OF THE MIDWEST INCLUDING THE ENTIRE DVN CWA ABOUT

THURSDAY/FRIDAY FEBRUARY 21/22. THIS LOCKED AND ACTIVE PATTERN

SUGGESTS THE POTENTIAL FOR MIDWEST SNOWSTORMS ARRIVING ABOUT EVERY 3

DAYS GOING THROUGH THE LAST WEEK OF FEBRUARY. STAY TUNED.

Mike Caplan threw this up on Facebook a little under an hour ago. For the city of Chicago specifically, if current forecasts panned out, there would be snowstorms on the 22nd, 25th, and 28th. However, because these are so far out in fantasy land, Caplan tells all to take this with a grain of salt.

From DTX

THE ACTIVE PATTERN BREAKS SUNDAY AND MONDAY AS AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE BUILDS IN OVER THE CENTRAL GREAT LAKES. THIS RIDGE WILL BRING AN END TO THE SNOW CHANCES WITH WARMER TEMPERATURES ON TAP FOR THE EARLY PART OF NEXT WEEK. A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKING NORTHEAST FROM THE SOUTHERN PLAINS THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY IS POISED TO BRING AN ABRUPT END TO THE DRY WEATHER MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY. DESPITE THE SYSTEM BEING IN THE LAST PORTION OF THE EXTENDED...THERE IS A SURPRISING AMOUNT OF MODEL CONSISTENCY BETWEEN THE ECMWF AND GFS MODEL THAT FAR OUT. INITIAL MODEL SOUNDINGS SHOW ENOUGH COLD AIR FOR MAINLY SNOW ACROSS SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN DURING THIS EVENT...WHICH WOULD MEAN SEVERAL INCHES OF ACCUMULATING SNOW MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY. HOWEVER IT IS MUCH TOO EARLY TO JUMP ON THESE SOLUTIONS DESPITE THE AGREEMENT...THEREFORE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS SITUATION VERY CLOSELY

Mike Caplan threw this up on Facebook a little under an hour ago. For the city of Chicago specifically, if current forecasts panned out, there would be snowstorms on the 22nd, 25th, and 28th. However, because these are so far out in fantasy land, Caplan tells all to take this with a grain of salt.

Caplan is my other fave.  He's not as dry as Taft, and alot more informative.  

LOL, snow storms every 3 days....  Wow...  Taking this with a shaker of salt. 

Euro looked very impressive with the system from 192-240 (and would really destroy Chicago, lol), that may become the one to watch. Based on the activity shown, including the teleconnections, it would appear that one of these things eventually has to blow up considering the amount of energy in the forecasted pattern.

This really has some explosive potential if it plays out as progged by many of the models.

Probably for the best. If it does come together, better later than now. Worst thing would be showing a major phase then lose it following runs like 2009.

+100

---

Yeah Caplan is quite informative and seems to like snow more than Taft.

Archived