Newest Member
    northernriwx
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 4

hm8

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

torch incoming for storm 2!

Not on that run. Look higher up. It's not some really strong digging wave into the srn plains that ejects northeast at us but this crosses the rockies and moves east and once the ULL finally establishes itself on this run it just moves east.

Look at H5 vort at 180hr, looks pretty unorganized and doesn't scream impressive. But if you get a single strong wave to dig more then yeah WAA would be more impressive.

Not on that run. Look higher up. It's not some really strong digging wave into the srn plains that ejects northeast at us but this crosses the rockies and moves east and once the ULL finally establishes itself on this run it just moves east.

Look at H5 vort at 180hr, looks pretty unorganized and doesn't scream impressive. But if you get a single strong wave to dig more then yeah WAA would be more impressive.

Agree. The preceding storm will also be a player in how far north this gets...if it's still hanging around off the east coast then it will be tough for this storm to gain much latitude after it enters the Plains. OHweather has laid it out nicely.

Ok, I'm trying to get the nomenclature right:

1st storm = weekend what could have been

2nd storm = modest threat early next week

3rd storm = potentially bigger threat later next week

??

Lol, ok so we're saying that's the third storm? Then, yes, the third storm (too much activity seems to potentially be a problem here).

And yeah, I was doing the same thing Alek was doing.

Looking at the Euro/GGEM, they look much more impressive with that storm, and the Euro is reloading the West Coast at the end of the run. The potential volatility on a scale of 1-10 of the pattern coming up here is probably a solid 9. There continue to be some monsters on the GFS ensembles well into truncation as well.

Lol, ok so we're saying that's the third storm? Then, yes, the third storm (too much activity seems to potentially be a problem here).

Me too. But your assessment makes more sense to me if it were expressing the interrelationship between the weekend nothing storm and the early week storm.

edit: unless you're not strictly talking about winter wx potential.

Looking at the Euro/GGEM, they look much more impressive with that storm, and the Euro is reloading the pattern at the end of the run.

To avoid confusion and raise awareness, I think we should call "storm 3" or "storm 2" if you skip the weekend cold front, "Dory," since the northeast had Nemo. "Deadly Dory ends Chicago Snow Drought in Life-Threatening Fashion"...can see it now.

This is 100% sarcasm btw.

To avoid confusion and raise awareness, I think we should call "storm 3" or "storm 2" if you skip the weekend cold front, "Dory," since the northeast had Nemo. "Deadly Dory ends Chicago Snow Drought in Life-Threatening Fashion"...can see it now.

This is 100% sarcasm btw.

Lol...stick with giving your amazing analysis of the weather....

pushes east way too fast...it will torch.  Take it to the bank.

lol. Alek has shifted from justified pessimism to pure troll mode. Spring is around the corner.

He had a torch call for this week at one point... 5-10 degrees above the normal high is now a torch I guess.

Last half of Feb looks banging with plenty of S/W's though. I gave you guys my forecast through Feb.11 last Sunday. I will write a more indepth forecast and POP of the last 3 weeks on Monday or something. But it looks like Feb 11-13 will be another 5-10 degree warm up ahead of a S/W arriving the 14 or 15th with colder air behind it for Feb 15-17.

Strat. analogs are showing 4 storms in a week and a half period for the second half of Feb. I'm waiting for more GWO data though before I confirm and jump on the bandwagon for such an active pattern. Although this would jive with the thoughts of a snowy pattern for the Plains/upper MS valley and the NE still ending up with about normal snowfall while at the same time having above normal temps for the month....just plenty of opportunities to score while getting screwed on others.

This was the pattern and week I was referring to a couple weeks ago. LOL

Also like the high in the way at 140W. I think it will do a nice job of splitting this strong xt-RWT at 170W in to several pieces with pockets of energy slipping underneath and emerging as pulses along the southern jet that could possible end up phasing with their siblings that took the northern jet on the 21/22 time frame. Also marked out xt-RWT over Africa that I think will be a player come March 6/7 that matches up with a Mtn. torque event meaning colder air should be over the region. I think it could be a decent storm for someone.

post-3697-0-68958000-1360810197_thumb.jp

This was the pattern and week I was referring to a couple weeks ago. LOL

Also like the high in the way at 140W. I think it will do a nice job of splitting this strong xt-RWT at 170W in to several pieces with pockets of energy slipping underneath and emerging as pulses along the southern jet that could possible end up phasing with their siblings that took the northern jet on the 21/22 time frame. Also marked out xt-RWT over Africa that I think will be a player come March 6/7 that matches up with a Mtn. torque event meaning colder air should be over the region. I think it could be a decent storm for someone.

attachicon.gifwed.jpg

Wow, I respect that you can make a call from this far out. It will be interesting to see if your forecast plays out over DT and several others calling for WARMTH in March.

Haha...I take it that "DT" is like a curse word to you. :)

quote name="Stebo" post="2120862" timestamp="1360811964"]Perfectly stated.

I agree. Great explanation and without being a douche about it.

Btwn him and a few other guys they have really ruined long range forecasting's image. Flip flopping every other day and calling for epic events every other month. Private sector forecasters in energy trading are fighting an uphill battle with fellow meteorologists and the public to change the perception of LRFing. Just like everyone thinks mets can't forecast weather for the next day because hacks have ruined the science for so many years in the short range also, these guys get out there and do the same thing to LR. It's just annoying.

I agree. Great explanation and without being a douche about it.Btwn him and a few other guys they have really ruined long range forecasting's image. Flip flopping every other day and calling for epic events every other month. Private sector forecasters in energy trading are fighting an uphill battle with fellow meteorologists and the public to change the perception of LRFing. Just like everyone thinks mets can't forecast weather for the next day because hacks have ruined the science for so many years in the short range also, these guys get out there and do the same thing to LR. It's just annoying.

That is a great reminder of why this board is so blessed to have meteorologists who don't just obsess over a computer model, but look at indices, patterns, etc... to make forecasts.

I'm surprised Tom Skilling is hyping about the storm next week. He seems to be hyping a bit more this year than usual. I have ALWAYS respected this great man though. One of the gentleman who influenced my interest in weather.

I'm not really surprised! He was talking about the GHD blizzard about 7-8 days ahead of time.

The system has just left Japan this evening.

Archived