northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 4

hm8

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think the temp profiles will come around in a situation like this (a Central or Western GLC), because if not, it pays to be a pessimist for this storm it would seem.

Central/Western GL have the better chance with this system as it stands as they would have the colder air in place.

Haha yep. I saw this coming. 9 days out and everyone's throwing in the towel. I think it's good that the models are flip flopping... If we were kept in the "sweet spot" 9 days out for several runs I would be worried. I still think we're in good standing IMO

Most were talking about the Mon/Tues storm 6-7 days out. Which we should all keep an eye on. Not a storm 10 days out.

Most were talking about the Mon/Tues storm 6-7 days out. Which we should all keep an eye on. Not a storm 10 days out.Ye

Yep, but even still, like Stebo and Harry Perry are saying, plenty of time to watch this.  It would be surprising to see almost all of this storm consist of rain, as the 0z GFS is indicating.  It's not like there is no cold or snowcover prior to this storm either in the region.  It will be low to mid 20s this weekend.

Yep, but even still, like Stebo and Harry Perry are saying, plenty of time to watch this. It would be surprising to see almost all of this storm consist of rain, as the 0z GFS is indicating. It's not like there is no cold or snowcover prior to this storm either in the region. It will be low to mid 20s this weekend.

FWIW i dont buy this solution. Like you stated there will be more colder air to work with. I expect to go back and forth a few times. Shows rain all the way north into the mackinaw straits. Highly doubt that

Some quick thoughts on the GFS ensembles:

Storm 1 (this weekend)…GGEM came back to reality, any faint hope is now gone for this subforum. Good NW flow lake effect setup Friday-Saturday however may make up for any “disappointment” in localized areas.

Storm 2 (Tuesday-Wednesday of next week):

post-525-0-73253900-1360738712_thumb.png

Despite no real –NAO and the 50/50 low being transient…I am concerned still that the shortwave crashing into the northwest behind “storm 2” (let’s call it Dory, the slightly handicapped “fish” trying to find “Nemo” for us Great Lakes/Ohio Valley folk) will make it difficult for the northern stream to dive sufficiently far south for phasing to occur…if phasing does occur over the Missouri Valley, which the above image suggests is possible if the northern branch is a little more aggressive, there wouldn’t be much blocking to stop a track into the lower lakes…however, I remain concerned that any phasing will not occur until farther east, if at all…I’d honestly feel this has a better chance at being an upper OV/upper Mid Atlantic/New England type threat with a low developing over the OH/TN Valleys and then transferring off the Mid-Atlantic Coast, if phasing does occur, because the trend has been for the northern branch shortwave to be a bit more progressive over the past couple of cycles of model runs.

Storm 3 (2/21-23):

post-525-0-44855800-1360738757_thumb.png

The next storm appears to be the one everybody is going to really bug out about, if current model projections continue for another day or two…the GFS appears to be showing the sub-tropical and polar branches combining over the western US, with a 130+kt upper level jet streak ejecting into the Plains in about 8.5 days. Thus, it appears this may be a case of more classic lee-side cyclonegenesis over the central Plains in about 8-9 days as opposed to waiting on a phase to occur.

The question then is…assuming the models aren’t really overestimating the energy crashing into the west in about 6-7 days…which I doubt, given its been well agreed upon for several days on…does the storm track more NE towards the western Lakes or more west-east towards the lower Ohio Valley?

This is a bit tougher…it doesn’t help that the GFS/ECM suites appear to be at odds over how much NAO blocking tries to develop by this time:

post-525-0-05507400-1360738793_thumb.gif

Given the 12z European ensembles had the low running through the lower OV before transferring…and the 12z GFS ensembles were into the lower lakes, the difference in handling of the potential –NAO and 50/50 low from “storm 2” may be what results in this difference in track…I haven’t seen the individuals yet but the 0z GEFS mean had a very broad low pressure across central IL/IN through N. OH, likely meaning there is quite a bit of spread amongst members.

Given that storm 2 is likely to bomb a little more effectively ahead of storm 3 than storm 1 will for storm 2, there may be some credence to the whole process helping to force a more –NAO and hence keep the storm somewhat farther south…however this is still a highly uncertain forecast…overall I’d believe the chances of “storm 3” (or Dory) delivering the goods to more folks than “storm 2”, although this is far from a clear cut forecast right now.

After storm 3 we may begin fighting an Alaskan low…which has been shown in place by day 10 for a few days now…so we may see a gradual warm up for the last few days of Feb.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
302 AM EST WED FEB 13 2013

MIZ060>063-068>070-075-076-082-083-140815-SHIAWASSEE-GENESEE-LAPEER-ST. CLAIR-LIVINGSTON-OAKLAND-MACOMB-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-302 AM EST WED FEB 13 2013THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHEASTMICHIGAN..DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHTNO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAYACCUMULATING SNOWFALL OF AN INCH OR MORE WILL BE POSSIBLE MONDAYNIGHT AND TUESDAY.

YEYY GOOD JOB DTX calling an inch of snow a week ahead lol..good call :D

GGEM finally laid down the crack pipe. Kind of a shame nothing is going to materialize for us this weekend as the ul pattern did look primed for something big. Subtract the lead clipper lowering heights along the east coast, and the kicker s/w (our early next week storm) plowing through the Rockies and a GGEMesque solution wouldn't have just been plausible. With as amplified a W NOAM ridge as we have, I'd say it would have been likely.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

302 AM EST WED FEB 13 2013

MIZ060>063-068>070-075-076-082-083-140815-SHIAWASSEE-GENESEE-LAPEER-ST. CLAIR-LIVINGSTON-OAKLAND-MACOMB-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-302 AM EST WED FEB 13 2013THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHEASTMICHIGAN..DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHTNO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAYACCUMULATING SNOWFALL OF AN INCH OR MORE WILL BE POSSIBLE MONDAYNIGHT AND TUESDAY.

YEYY GOOD JOB DTX calling an inch of snow a week ahead lol..good call :D

Now that is being bold! :P

Archived