Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 4

hm8

Roger Smith, Jan 28th:

"Expect record high temperatures for most of a week to ten day period around mid-February to 25th or so. Reason is from research strong indications of a major height building episode over the Great Lakes and northeast U.S. at that time. Overall reason (since that's really just the same prediction in upper air terms) has to do with solar system magnetic field structure and earth's approach to J-1 field sector. Analogues include 1930 and 1954 which both set numerous record highs in February."

MASSIVE. FAIL.

it would be one thing to forecast a mild period (which is not happening anyway) but to forecast 7-10 days of widespread record highs? Lets just join the JB club of forecasting.

:lmao:

I tried telling people a while back that extended torches were not happening. Even short lived ( 2-3 day ) would be hard to come by but not impossible ofcourse.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lmao:

I tried telling people a while back that extended torches were not happening. Even short lived ( 2-3 day ) would be hard to come by but not impossible ofcourse.

yea that sucks. Instead it's storms cutting to my west over and over and over again with seasonable temps and rain. A torch was wishful thinking :(

The pattern from days 6-14 is still potentially workable for much of this sub-forum...

post-525-0-24372200-1361128300_thumb.png

However, with the -NAO located where it is on the above Euro image, it may not stop storms from cutting initially...with a -PNA, unless we can get higher heights near Greenland and a better 50/50 low storms will cut initially into the lakes before running into the block and sitting and slowly spinning down for days.

We also need to keep the storms from occluding immediately after they eject into the Plains, although that is handled on more of a storm by storm basis.

The GWO numbers and mountain torque numbers that I used in my long post last weekend, and got somewhat excited over, were conveniently revised early last week and look much more La Nina-ish now. Convection is active from Africa east through much of the Indian Ocean and towards Australia, however with a much more La Nina like global wind pattern now I'm not sure how easily this convection may try to propagate into the Pacific. The GFS and Euro both say no and kill the MJO for the next week and a half to two weeks, which would likely allow the -PNA to continue...although we will have to watch the convection closely this week and determine if those forecasts will come to fruition.

post-525-0-20861300-1361128828_thumb.gif

If we don't see favorable MJO forcing resume by early March the -NAO will eventually begin to weaken and the -PNA will eventually work its magic and warm the region up as we head into March. I'm not sure that would mean the end of winter, especially across the upper Midwest and Great Lakes, however we will need to watch and see if we can get the troughing out west to reverse itself before we get too deep into March. Still plenty of time to watch for that either way, and we probably will have more storm chances to track through the end of February.

Euro Ensembles keeps hope alive:

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS192.gif

The potential is certainly there with this just like it was there with the 21-23 potential...but as I mentioned above we will need sufficient NAO blocking in the right place to force the storm track a little farther south, and not have the energy come screaming out into the Plains so strongly that it occludes well west. Hopefully we temper our expectations with this one as even I probably got too excited for the late week storm (which will still be fun for places mainly west of the Mississippi)

The potential is certainly there with this just like it was there with the 21-23 potential...but as I mentioned above we will need sufficient NAO blocking in the right place to force the storm track a little farther south, and not have the energy come screaming out into the Plains so strongly that it occludes well west. Hopefully we temper our expectations with this one as even I probably got too excited for the late week storm (which will still be fun for places mainly west of the Mississippi)

Isnt snowstormcanuck referring to this same storm in the map?

On the contrary. Loving the look of that for more drought-busting Plains snow and it's a chance to get the severe season off on the right foot. The last thing we want is another summer death ridge. More power to this solution.

First let me get to 40" on the season. Then you send cutter after cutter through DSM.

On the contrary. Loving the look of that for more drought-busting Plains snow and it's a chance to get the severe season off on the right foot. The last thing we want is another summer death ridge. More power to this solution.

I completely agree with this, as much as I would love to get to average here with snow, there are bigger fish to fry this late in the season.

I completely agree with this, as much as I would love to get to average here with snow, there are bigger fish to fry this late in the season.

I honestly dont see that as a problem, getting to average. Especially this winter the way we have been lucking out. The question is, will Dec 26/27 be the only significant snowstorm of the season?

I honestly dont see that as a problem, getting to average. Especially this winter the way we have been lucking out. The question is, will Dec 26/27 be the only significant snowstorm of the season?

I've enjoyed the LE we've been getting way more than that storm...I say lets do more of that.

Archived