joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can confirm. My buddy just texted me that it's snowing in Somerset.

It's been snowing all morning but noticeable differences in accumulations from my house in Union county and work in Edison. That route 1 corridor heat island is always an issue when temps are around freezing or if snow is on the lighter side. This should work itself out as long as the best snows are from 4pm onward

whats interesting to me is that just from looking at the dopp radar it would appear as having that "snow" look to it. usually very easy to distinguish rain & snow by the type of signatures on the radar. Makes me wonder how shallow the warm air is.

I know exactly what you mean....more solid area of precip, not scattered with pockets of heavy precip or holes in the radar....looks more like a snowy radar

The rain was expected from the city on south. And it probably keeps raining until 4 or 5pm. But thereafter we have 12 HOURS of hopefully wall to wall good snow. Just a few hours under the good banding can add totals up like crazy. You should only be disappointed if you forecasted the 18-24+ kind of totals.

would imagine were getting close to our warmest at the surface/mid levels. Probably another 2-3 hours of mid level and surface warmth before we start seeing the beginnings of dynamic cooling

NAM and RGEM have the temps collapsing right around 3-4pm.

The rain was expected from the city on south. And it probably keeps raining until 4 or 5pm. But thereafter we have 12 HOURS of hopefully wall to wall good snow. Just a few hours under the good banding can add totals up like crazy. You should only be disappointed if you forecasted the 18-24+ kind of totals.

I forecasted 16-20" for NYC and 14-18" for JFK. I still think that can verify. Don't see why everyone is getting negative. 

whats going on this minute is really unimportant in the scheme of things. Since early this week we've been stressing the importance of getting into that ccb. If it was 3 degrees colder now and accumulating, and we missed the ccb, we'd be complaining about our 6inches. So thats why we need to watch, learn and let this unfold. It has always been the ccb that will make or break this

If you have access the the correlation coefficient, you can see the rain snow line....it is located in Western Middlesex county. NW of that line is snow, south and east mix.

I know exactly what you mean....more solid area of precip, not scattered with pockets of heavy precip or holes in the radar....looks more like a snowy radar

Looks like rgem has a 4pm-7pm changeover also. Depending on the changeover time, it has .50"-1" of precip after 4pm.

Makes sense. Phase is happening later than what was being shown a couple days ago. This allows the northern stream low to advect more warm air into the region until CAA starts occuring later tonight. 

If you have access the the correlation coefficient, you can see the rain snow line....it is located in Western Middlesex county. NW of that line is snow, south and east mix.

There is a swath of sleet though in the red/yellow tint on CC dual pol.

I'm currently sleeting with no rain in NE Queens (Bayside).

Thank you. This thread has been terrible, this subforum in general . Too many people who always downplay events and turn out wrong in the end.

except it goes both ways, those who hype incredible amounts based on a couple of models and then belittle others who disagree and say oh that cant happen. well it did...we should get decent snows anyhow that everyone should be happy with but we are not getting what are the weenies were going around claiming we were

whats going on this minute is really unimportant in the scheme of things. Since early this week we've been stressing the importance of getting into that ccb. If it was 3 degrees colder now and accumulating, and we missed the ccb, we'd be complaining about our 6inches. So thats why we need to watch, learn and let this unfold. It has always been the ccb that will make or break this

I agree....precip lost ahead of CCB is more or less just a few inches lost to rain. It is really more about where the heaviest banding sets up, not precip type...because if/when it sets up over us, temps drop below freezing and we accumulate quickly

Archived