• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

there is no doubt that the nam is east and areas south and west of the city will likely verify on the lower end, however, as the event unfolds models ALWAYS pull back on qpf. ALWAYS. The east trend should be concerning if you're a good distance south and west of the city. Otherwise everyone the 2.0 line is from central queens east with over 1.75 touching NE NJ

Westchester still gets 1.75" QPF as mostly snow, large hit. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this model showed over 90 inches yesterday.  everyone laughed.  shouldn't we then laugh at this, too? sigh.

Wish we could... but it is trending with the 6Z GFS and 12Z NAM.  If you want big snow in NYC just hope back side band around 2am sits and pivots right over top of us.  

The phase is going to be late this run, it's faster with the southern stream instead of holding it back like it was and waiting for the phase. We still get a nice solid storm but it won't be anything historic for us.

nam_namer_015_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

its not "this run" LOOK AT THE WV, its as clear as day and I posted it about an hour ago.

I really don't understand some of you. It is as if you can't bear to hear that the models have continued to shift east and later with the full development of system. When the NAM showed ridiculous amounts, it is the same people that declared this epic and got in their heads the idea that this could be a 2 foot snowstorm for our area. I personally never felt it was on the table and I'm ridiculed ? Sorry if it is not what you want to hear, and actually I will now post less to be so kind...but I think the posts that many of you are making about how far off the gfs is, etc.....are much more useless and now much more senseless....as the gfs was clearly on to something ! (Not ON something lol)....I was hoping for this one too so I'm sorry if its painful to hear that it shifted east, etc....but it DID. Staring at the area of low pressure and becoming delusional over how it is moving will not help. It is developing and moving as modeled and we are in line for close to or maybe just under a foot if snow. I said I thought 11-14" and supposedly I was being extremely negative and all....but now we very likely will barely get that. So again, I'm sorry if I've annoyed many of you and I will listless, but just realize that your senseless banter of how the gfs was horrible etc now is clearly just banter too and not "educated bashing".

there is no doubt that the nam is east and areas south and west of the city will likely verify on the lower end, however, as the event unfolds models ALWAYS pull back on qpf. ALWAYS. The east trend should be concerning if you're a good distance south and west of the city. Otherwise everyone the 2.0 line is from central queens east with over 1.75 touching NE NJ

Best post here. It all depends on how much is lost to non-snow. I am pleased that 1.75 is still on top of me as it was for the Euro. Got to hope more frozen than not.

I really don't understand some of you. It is as if you can't bear to hear that the models have continued to shift east and later with the full development of system. When the NAM showed ridiculous amounts, it is the same people that declared this epic and got in their heads the idea that this could be a 2 foot snowstorm for our area. I personally never felt it was on the table and I'm ridiculed ? Sorry if it is not what you want to hear, and actually I will now post less to be so kind...but I think the posts that many of you are making about how far off the gfs is, etc.....are much more useless and now much more senseless....as the gfs was clearly on to something ! (Not ON something lol)....I was hoping for this one too so I'm sorry if its painful to hear that it shifted east, etc....but it DID. Staring at the area of low pressure and becoming delusional over how it is moving will not help. It is developing and moving as modeled and we are in line for close to or maybe just under a foot if snow. I said I thought 11-14" and supposedly I was being extremely negative and all....but now we very likely will barely get that. So again, I'm sorry if I've annoyed many of you and I will listless, but just realize that your senseless banter of how the gfs was horrible etc now is clearly just banter too and not "educated bashing".

We only get 11-14" from 2-3" QPF? Interesting math you bring to the table...

Real-time obs clearly show the low is pretty far west, and the precip shield is intense and extensive. Not seeing what you're panicking about. 

3" line showing up on LI. Wow. Already about 0.1" of precip fell since this morning so about 2.4" for me is good. The snow falling now is not accumulating. So we'll probably only end up with about 19" or 20" of snow verbatim, less if this snow doesn't accumulate as fast. Anyone saying half of the NAM's precip is rain should stop, 6z NAM had me all rain and it's all snow here.

I think at this point with the trend of a later phase, the big amounts for the city are becoming increasingly unlikely. I'd probably go with 6-10 for NYC, 8-12" NW (should benefit more from whatever falls into this afternoon not associated with the CCB) Unfortunately places to the west and especially southwest look to perform the worst in this region, there's going to be a sharp cutoff with the CCB not being tucked into the coast like the Euro and NAM were showing yesterday. Amounts in this region look to be 4-7" southwest of EWR, and dropping off to around 2-5" around TTN. 

My guesses

TTN- 4.5"

EWR- 7.5"

NYC- 9"

LGA- 11"

JFK- 10" 

OKX -12" 

HPN- 13"

Going to adjust these #s and add more specific locations after looking at the 12z NAM. Using the city as a midpoint, you can expect amounts to increase rapidly as you had east, and likewise decrease rapidly as you head west/southwest. Also models tend to be way too generous with the precip on the western flanks of the CCB, there's likely to be an area of subsidence direct west of the heaviest qpf, which should be immediately west of NYC...

TTN- 2.5"

EWR- 7.5"

MMU-6"

NYC- 9"

LGA- 12"

JFK- 14" 

OKX -17" 

HPN- 15"

And some specific locations

New Brunswick - 4"

Marlboro- 6"

Perth Amboy- 5"

Fort Lee- 10"

Springfield/Wesfield/Scotch Plains 6-7"

Islip - 20"

hi res nam goes inside bm with city east getting clobbered

edit: its actually fair to say basically everyone getting clobbered just different degrees of "clobber." Probably not going to show 8in qpf amounts for our area though like 00z LOL

can you post a link,pls?

Archived