joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow....truly a New England special!! We're still in for more than 10" though...but Boston 3 feet sheesh. And wow EWR only 8" there

There's really nothing right now that supports the RPM's forecast. Seems to me to definitely be a lower res model and one that might have some use 3-4 days out. No use at all 1-2 days out.

The low is further NW than the GFS is currently showing. Not by a whole lot but by 50-75 miles for sure.

Those 50-75 miles will make a big difference in our metro area. Where those bands set up is a guess for now. Got to watch the pressure drops, water vapor loops and the radar. This will be fun to watch unfold. A good tool to use is the SPC's forcast tools.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16

From tmagan in obs thread, but didn't see it here. Better than I thought. Be interesting to see how much of (and where) a BL/ML warm push makes it in thru the morning before things collapse back:

Hot off the presses, 12 UTC KOKX 8 February sounding.

attachicon.gif kokx_sounding.jpg

The Euro had banding developing between 18-21 z this afternoon with dynamic cooling beginning then.

I,for one, am not here to hear or see your metreological ruler is longer than mine fights. We are here to lear from 1 another & with another and above all discuss and observe dynamics of a potentially historic blizzard. You should all be in a great mood because we are in for the rare 24 hour blizzard. I know some are stressed about possible busts but I think we can all remain civil and truly enjoy the experience-especially since its been so very rare lately,

Rock on & snow on folks!

Those 50-75 miles will make a big difference in our metro area. Where those bands set up is a guess for now. Got to watch the pressure drops, water vapor loops and the radar. This will be fun to watch unfold. A good tool to use is the SPC's forcast tools.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16

I know, trust me. I'm encouraged by the surface observations and what we can see on WV but I don't like how the NAM trended weaker with the southern stream. We need this thing to bomb out or it will be just another noreaster for most of us.

The SPC meso has the low at 998mb over Cape Hatteras at 12z. The 6z GFS has the low SE of Cape Hatteras at 1002mb at 12z.

attachicon.gif12zslp.gif

attachicon.gifgfs_namer_006_10m_wnd_precip.gif

It looks slightly NW of Hatteras to me, over Pamlico Sound. Really confident that the GFS is just out to lunch here with that track. And also the strength. Still looks like it's having convective feedback issues-again, look at the convective blobs it fires east of the center, and it tries to overcompensate with the low track. The 0z NAM was definitely too crazy last night, but the weaker/east ones are likely wrong.

lol, yes....i know you are wishing the nam comes true for your backyard but euro + rpm is the way to go. its always been a SW CT to E MASS bullseye event. you will still get WSW snows.

Ah ok. Now that I see where you're posting from, I see why you're being so silly. Every single shred of meteorological data this morning indicates that this will be snowier down this way than the RPM says. 6" lol. But, don't worry, you're obviously still going to get yours. Congrats.

Radar scope is such an incredible radar app. There appears to be a center with precip wrapping in and around it about 75 miles to the SE of VA beach?

yes I see that swirl. Mesoanalysis has the true low sw of there but who knows. Either way that swirl isn't moving anywhere very quickly and definitely not escaping east

I know, trust me. I'm encouraged by the surface observations and what we can see on WV but I don't like how the NAM trended weaker with the southern stream. We need this thing to bomb out or it will be just another noreaster for most of us.

Agree, It's like waiting for a baby to be born. It's going to happen today but when. We just pace the floor and pull out our hair. LOL

Radar scope is such an incredible radar app. There appears to be a center with precip wrapping in and around it about 75 miles to the SE of VA beach?

yes I see that swirl. Mesoanalysis has the true low sw of there but who knows. Either way that swirl isn't moving anywhere very quickly and definitely not escaping east

I see it slowly starting to pull to the NE but even so, that would be a great track. So that must actually be where the area of low pressure is now then I would think, right? Nothing else would cause the swirl

Archived