wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

based on latest meso I'd be surprised if anything close to the GFS verified.

I don't know. Look at the 10z RAP- has the low in its current position, but still moves it ENE for the next hours.

Ya that's what I was saying....the GFS location of the low right now is surprisingly NOT that far off from where it currently is. And again, it shows the NE/ENE movement over the next few hours....if it doesn't move that way and maybe heads just NE or so....then the gfs might be very wrong. Until then, it's really not as wrong as I thought it was at first glance

Ya that's what I was saying....the GFS location of the low right now is surprisingly NOT that far off from where it currently is. And again, it shows the NE/ENE movement over the next few hours....if it doesn't move that way and maybe heads just NE or so....then the gfs might be very wrong. Until then, it's really not as wrong as I thought it was at first glance

HUH ?  The center is  50 miles west of HATT , The GFS was 50 - 75 miles east of HATT , wrong in its placement

The phase has already started to occur, the southern stream wouldn't be getting down to 996mb without the phase occurring. NAM seems on track with the low so far. It would be my model of choice considering the GFS went off to the looney bin. Right now its heavy overcast with a temp of 33F I expect snow to move in within the next two hours. NWS is forecasting 14-18" for the Outer Cape, but just to the west of Hyannis, MA they are forecasting 18-24". Their warning statement says more than 2 feet.

srefs a touch east and thus drier but nothing dramatic. still looks great. 850's probably make it to the south shore of LI and CNJ

SREF's show the best banding streching westward to about the DE river so the good news is not too many people in this area really have to worry about being too far west and in the srew zone.

sref_namer_009_prob_precip_25.gif

sref_namer_012_prob_precip_25.gif

sref_namer_015_prob_precip_25.gif

sref_namer_018_prob_precip_25.gif

sref_namer_024_prob_precip_25.gif

sref_namer_027_prob_precip_25.gif

HUH ? The center is 50 miles west of HATT , The GFS was 50 - 75 miles east of HATT , wrong in its placement

That's wrong actually. Here is the 06z gfs placement.http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_vort_ht&cycle=06ℑ=gfs%2F06%2Fgfs_namer_003_850_vort_ht.gif

The low is close to where it truly was. Gfs NEVER had it 50-75 miles east of hatteras

The phase has already started to occur, the southern stream wouldn't be getting down to 996mb without the phase occurring. NAM seems on track with the low so far. It would be my model of choice considering the GFS went off to the looney bin. Right now its heavy overcast with a temp of 33F I expect snow to move in within the next two hours. NWS is forecasting 14-18" for the Outer Cape, but just to the west of Hyannis, MA they are forecasting 18-24". Their warning statement says more than 2 feet.

The streams and systems are still separate aloft, so there's no phase yet.

I think at this point with the trend of a later phase, the big amounts for the city are becoming increasingly unlikely. I'd probably go with 6-10 for NYC, 8-12" NW (should benefit more from whatever falls into this afternoon not associated with the CCB) Unfortunately places to the west and especially southwest look to perform the worst in this region, there's going to be a sharp cutoff with the CCB not being tucked into the coast like the Euro and NAM were showing yesterday. Amounts in this region look to be 4-7" southwest of EWR, and dropping off to around 2-5" around TTN. 

My guesses

TTN- 4.5"
EWR- 7.5"
NYC- 9"
LGA- 11"
JFK- 10" 

OKX -12" 

HPN- 13"

Archived