THE GFS IS IN LARGE ERROR ON ITS THERMAL PROFILE AND THAT THE 06Z

NAM AND 00Z ECMWF ARE MUCH MORE ACCURATE...I.E. COLDER. CC ON THE

821 AM RADAR SHOWS THE PHASE CHANGE VERY NICELY...FROM NEAR KUKT-

JUST N OF KTTN TO MIDWAY BETWEEN KLDJ AND KBLM. WE`VE SEEN 48-52 KT

GUSTS JUST EAST OF KORF AT 13Z.

SO FAR...NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE WINTER WARNINGS OR ADVISORIES

IN PLACE. A WIND ADVISORY CONTINUES. WILL BE ADDED FOR PORTIONS OF

SOUTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHERN DELAWARE FOR THIS AFTERNOON AND

TONIGHT. A COASTAL FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES.

Problem is the thermals on the NAM and Euro aren't good enough to avoid a huge loss of the 1.75 qpf due to rain.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im going to solve all my expectation problems right now. I'm expecting an inch out of this storm. That's it btw there's still window of opportunity for an early phase. 

I live in Jersey City and according to some people here, I can expect anywhere from 2-15" XD

I actually think the average of that range is a good forecast. 6-8" for Jersey city/Hoboken

Problem is the thermals on the NAM and Euro aren't good enough to avoid a huge loss of the 1.75 qpf due to rain.

If you get the heavy banding into NE NJ you have nothing to worry about. The problem is that this way always based on getting the best banding from eastern NJ into western Long Island. If the CCB sets up east of the city, you can pretty much kiss anything more than a 4-8" storm goodbye.

I really don't understand some of you. It is as if you can't bear to hear that the models have continued to shift east and later with the full development of system. When the NAM showed ridiculous amounts, it is the same people that declared this epic and got in their heads the idea that this could be a 2 foot snowstorm for our area. I personally never felt it was on the table and I'm ridiculed ? Sorry if it is not what you want to hear, and actually I will now post less to be so kind...but I think the posts that many of you are making about how far off the gfs is, etc.....are much more useless and now much more senseless....as the gfs was clearly on to something ! (Not ON something lol)....I was hoping for this one too so I'm sorry if its painful to hear that it shifted east, etc....but it DID. Staring at the area of low pressure and becoming delusional over how it is moving will not help. It is developing and moving as modeled and we are in line for close to or maybe just under a foot if snow. I said I thought 11-14" and supposedly I was being extremely negative and all....but now we very likely will barely get that. So again, I'm sorry if I've annoyed many of you and I will listless, but just realize that your senseless banter of how the gfs was horrible etc now is clearly just banter too and not "educated bashing".

No, it is because you post crap like this before the model is done running,, and then it shows over 2 inches of qpf for NYC.  

:Wow....if the NAM sim radar is correct this actually will be a bust with anything near or over a foot for NYC and west"

The models do not take ratios into consideration as we cool down significantly the snow will go from wet to very dry and ratios increase to at least 12 to 1; if not more as temeratures drop rapidly.

Rossi

The models DO take ratios into consideration..... sure, their handling of them isn't perfect due to the need for parameterizations but they don't just exclude ratios...... 

Based on the RAP, I don't see how the city gets 2-4". Makes no sense. Just look at the radar, that stuff ain't gonna disappear. 2-4" of snow highly unlikely unless if the RAP is warm and holds the precip as rain.

if it doesnt phase soon enough the southern energy will get shunted east and the phase/capture will be too ate for us...

You guys are funny stressing over the models. Now casting is a lot more fun, watching the little shifts, waiting for that phase, watching the precip shield expand or collapse...

That doesn't mean models suddenly become useless in the near-term. Models aren't useless and then suddenly become skillful outside of 12 hours. I think using nowcasting and models in conjunction with each other is good. And quite frankly, if the NAM had continued the epic snow totals or even raised them, absolutely no one would be saying "guys, it's time to nowcast, don't look at the models"..... 

the low is definitely tucked in a bit and slightly stronger than progged...but a key timeframe will be over the next 6 hours to see what kind of direction it starts to head up the coast. As of now everything looks good, but we absolutely need to watch for a jog east

just reviewed the text sooundings from the 0Z nam for 15Z today at JFK. Had surface temps at 38. I think we are at like 34.

If you get the heavy banding into NE NJ you have nothing to worry about. The problem is that this way always based on getting the best banding from eastern NJ into western Long Island. If the CCB sets up east of the city, you can pretty much kiss anything more than a 4-8" storm goodbye.

Considering what the Euro at 12z yesterday showed for NE NJ, that's beyond tragic. But this is the 2013 winter so why the heck not, take 4-8 and jump for joy.

When this is all said and done, there will be many, many lessons to learn. People fail to accept marginal thermal profiles that produce extensive rain.

Didnt we get burned by that a couple january's ago? I remember a big coastal storm that even produced heavy snow warnings for the NY metro and most people just sat under 33 with rain.

No, it is because you post crap like this before the model is done running,, and then it shows over 2 inches of qpf for NYC.

:Wow....if the NAM sim radar is correct this actually will be a bust with anything near or over a foot for NYC and west"

I think the problem is that you see the qpf amount (which by the way is 1.5 -1.75 from the city east...2" starting in Long Island) and you think "hey 2" qpf = 20" snow"...that is clearly wrong and while you might be thinking very positively about this....the 1.5" qpf is more like 7-10" of snow for NYC. If you see 1.5", no need to make it 2" to sound better. Sure, it dramatizes the whole thing but this is more of a reality show in the end, not an opera

Archived