• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

Zucker....East NY Brooklyn?, I pass Linden Blvd on the way to my school!  Alot of absentees today?

Oh wow...yeah I'm a special ed teacher at PS/IS 89 (Cypress Hills Community School). The school is on the corner of Warwick and Atlantic Ave. It's a great place to work. I live in Westchester, however, at least for now. 

Most people are here actually. It's just a light snow/rain mix at the present time. Very light precip so far, maybe a few hundredths down. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Radar out of Dover now shows an area of 50dbz+ banding building over the Delmarva. The precip shield is eroding slightly on the NW flank thanks to subsidence and the entire precip shield is consolidating some. All signs of an intensifying system and the formation of a nice CCB.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=dox&loop=yes

I agree....precip lost ahead of CCB is more or less just a few inches lost to rain. It is really more about where the heaviest banding sets up, not precip type...because if/when it sets up over us, temps drop below freezing and we accumulate quickly

what will be important is what type of ratios can we squeeze out of the CCB/deform bands....my guess is there will be an inch or less qpf after the switch over (expect C and E LI)

from baroclinic instability in the sne thread "The 12z ECMWF may shift a very slight bit east, but this storm is clearly becoming phased with the upper low as the southern low has recently taken a hard left/northward turn, the cloud field is expanding and cooling over SNE ahead of the upper low...which indicates the warm air advection associated with the southern low is beginning to spread ahead of the northern stream. Bigger question now becomes mesoscale dynamics."

what will be important is what type of ratios can we squeeze out of the CCB/deform bands....my guess is there will be an inch or less qpf after the switch over (expect C and E LI)

you might be right, but in 12-13-1 thats over a foot. I agree on the amounts after changeover from about 1.0+ NYC east. Not gonna get 20 in NYC but nws forecast looks good for now.

I don't post much on here, but I've got to say some of the posts really are ridiculous.  The storm hasnt even developed yet, and people are throwing out the bust word.  I lived in Albany for years, and remember many storms where the forecast was 12 to 18 or 18 to 24 going to bed with only a few inches on the ground thinking bust, only to wake up the next morning to see verification.  the banding will materialize, and people are going to get a lot of snow.  Chill out and enjoy the snow. 

from baroclinic instability in the sne thread "The 12z ECMWF may shift a very slight bit east, but this storm is clearly becoming phased with the upper low as the southern low has recently taken a hard left/northward turn, the cloud field is expanding and cooling over SNE ahead of the upper low...which indicates the warm air advection associated with the southern low is beginning to spread ahead of the northern stream. Bigger question now becomes mesoscale dynamics."

and he is an awesome forecaster - but note that was written for the NE guys, not us.

except it goes both ways, those who hype incredible amounts based on a couple of models and then belittle others who disagree and say oh that cant happen. well it did...we should get decent snows anyhow that everyone should be happy with but we are not getting what are the weenies were going around claiming we were

Basically everyone was discounting the Euro to the people who were trusting in it. In these storms considering the history of the Euro's dominant performance in these types of storms and it's consistency with this storm for 9 runs in a row, why would people like yourself and others consider me a weenie for falling for the Euro through 12z yesterday hook-line-sinker? Who really is the weenie then?

thank you. everyone has been ignoring me lol it def does look like it moving north

The early phase and the storm moving due north are what gives us the chance to get the 20" totals out of this beast, instead of a pedestrian 8-12". It's still a little early, however: we need the storm to continue its northward migration with the northern stream phasing in. 

I agree....precip lost ahead of CCB is more or less just a few inches lost to rain. It is really more about where the heaviest banding sets up, not precip type...because if/when it sets up over us, temps drop below freezing and we accumulate quickly

Yes I agree..most likely around 3/4" qpf left after the switch to snow...With the banding though I think NYC can get 10-12" out of it

Archived