• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

. 21 z thru Long Island 850`s south of the area  .50 - .75 falling  SLP east of the Delmarva

at 0z .75 - 1.00 liquid falling with the SLP east of AC , which should be cooling the column the 850 go north ? ( the timing of the turn over out there is key to how much )

only to come crashing back down at 3z with .50 - .75 snow falling .

Surface temps seem to be running a few degrees lower than forecasted . Think once into higher rates and the center east of AC the column collpases over Long Island .

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are funny stressing over the models. Now casting is a lot more fun, watching the little shifts, waiting for that phase, watching the precip shield expand or collapse...

That doesn't mean models suddenly become useless in the near-term. Models aren't useless and then suddenly become skillful outside of 12 hours. I think using nowcasting and models in conjunction with each other is good. And quite frankly, if the NAM had continued the epic snow totals or even raised them, absolutely no one would be saying "guys, it's time to nowcast, don't look at the models".....

So correct ! They would be saying "NAM CRUSHES NYC WITH 3" QPF ALL SNOW"....not "well it shows 35" of snow for NYC, but I doubt that'll happen".

. 21 z thru Long Island 850`s south of the area  .50 - .75 falling  SLP east of the Delmarva

at 0z .75 - 1.00 liquid falling with the SLP east of AC , which should be cooling the column the 850 go north ? ( the timing of the turn over out there is key to how much )

only to come crashing back down at 3z with .50 - .75 snow falling .

Surface temps seem to be running a few degrees lower than forecasted . Think once into higher rates and the center east of AC the column collpases over Long Island .

Right I would go a little colder than the NAM at this point closer to the Euro.

It seems to happen almost every year. Due to lack of knowledge, many people view the 0C 850 mb isotherm as a "wall" or "barricade" to rain. "If I'm north of that, I'm safe." It's just not the case. I think this is a 4-8 inch storm with almost all of it coming after 10PM as the OH valley system heads east and essentially helps form a nice deformation band on the western flank of the system. Unfortunately, this was a very complex evolution and even the Euro had problems with it. NAM output from 00z last night was a joke, btw.

Didnt we get burned by that a couple january's ago? I remember a big coastal storm that even produced heavy snow warnings for the NY metro and most people just sat under 33 with rain.

If these busts did not turn into busts like the "negative" ones have spoken of when on the models, you'd have about 75"+ of snow this season so far. How many inches do you have ?

Close to 7 but there is no reason to call busts. Look at the radar. The low is slightly stronger and more west than modeled.

It seems to happen almost every year. Due to lack of knowledge, many people view the 0C 850 mb isotherm as a "wall" or "barricade" to rain. "If I'm north of that, I'm safe." It's just not the case. I think this is a 4-8 inch storm with almost all of it coming after 10PM as the OH valley system heads east and essentially helps form a nice deformation band on the western flank of the system. Unfortunately, this was a very complex evolution and even the Euro had problems with it. NAM output from 00z last night was a joke, btw.

I don't even live in this region to know that you are annoying as hell.   The event hasn't even begun in earnest yet.   What's the point of trying to cold water bath people prematurely?  

Per ag3:

NYC and LI do very well on the NAM. Very well:

Here are text soundngs. 1st bold are surface temps. 2nd is 850 temps and 3rd bold is 6 hour precip:

FRI  1P 08-FEB   1.1     0.4    1010      94      95    0.22     551     543  
FRI  7P 08-FEB  -0.3    -0.7    1003      95     100    0.75     543     540  
SAT  1A 09-FEB  -3.6    -8.1    1006      95      94    0.55     533     528  
SAT  7A 09-FEB  -5.9    -7.9    1011      87      84    0.23     533     524

DT's last call map

http://1664596.sites.myregisteredsite.com/meteorology/LAST.jpg

Lowered the amounts  for NYC to 8-12. Still a nice snowstorm

he might be a bit too high on LI. 12-18" in nassau isnt as likely to happen as it was yesterday. He is going with the Euro, lock, stock, barrel..

on a side note- peek at the radar and follow the echoes off the lower mid-atl coast...not a great look for us.

I don't even live in this region to know that you are annoying as hell.   The event hasn't even begun in earnest yet.   What's the point of trying to cold water bath people prematurely?  

exactly...I'm not sure what the point is. It is 9:42 and it has been precipitating for a grand total of 2 hours. 4-8 is a respectable call, but storm at sea you really just through fuel on the fire. This thread sucks as it is and you just make it 10 times worse. Look at famartin, earthlight, isotherm, coastalwx, orhwx, even forky who post informative stuff, not garbage like you

You guys need to seriously suck it up.   I've seen people with egg on their face in our region who call busts if things are an hour or two off schedule.   At a minimum you guys will probably get  8-10"?  We'd gladly take it in DC.  Man up and stop being so GD negative.    This message is for the bust calling negative nancys.  Not the rest of you.

It's looking like an 18z-21z cooling of the column as the heavier precip arrives from NW to SE.

ya I'm liking where we stand right now...we'll all lose 0.25-0.75 (south of the r/s line and where temps are marginal) to this slop but in the scheme of things we'll more than make up for it with precip rates later.

he might be a bit too high on LI. 12-18" in nassau isnt as likely to happen as it was yesterday. He is going with the Euro, lock, stock, barrel..

on a side note- peek at the radar and follow the echoes off the lower mid-atl coast...not a great look for us.

Why not? LI gets 3" of QPF on the 12z NAM, and most of that's snow for the North Shore especially. I don't see how they would get any less than 12-18".

Radar looks perfect to me...heavy banding oriented SW-NE with lots of Atlantic inflow causing echoes to blow up south of Long Island. You should see the band pivot once the phase occurs as the storm wraps up. Judging from radar, extremely heavy snow is about to hit Long Island. 

Looks like NYC is on the border of 12-18", Anthony. 

The phasing tonight should be interesting for your area as a secondary band moves in from the NW.

With better ratios there you could see localized better amounts than the models are showing in

a secondary maxima.

i disagree ace. I think you're letting your pessimism get the best of you AGAIN. JUst let this thing play out radar hallucinations help no one.

Per ag3:

NYC and LI do very well on the NAM. Very well:

Here are text soundngs. 1st bold are surface temps. 2nd is 850 temps and 3rd bold is 6 hour precip:

FRI  1P 08-FEB   1.1     0.4    1010      94      95    0.22     551     543  

FRI  7P 08-FEB  -0.3    -0.7    1003      95     100    0.75     543     540  

SAT  1A 09-FEB  -3.6    -8.1    1006      95      94    0.55     533     528  

SAT  7A 09-FEB  -5.9    -7.9    1011      87      84    0.23     533     524

do you realize there are MANY other levels that influence this??

here is the NAM soundings for JFK, all levels

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM80km/NAM_Kjfk.txt

Archived