• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

well, Steve D ONLY going 6-12" for the entire area...now I know we are going to get creamed.

I can't help but feel that he forecasts purposely low when forecasts show higher and much higher when forecasts show lower. Being controversial can be fun I guess lol....the map is not bad tho...he has 12-24 for new england

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is true with respect to the surface, but the winds just above the deck are not necessarily as northerly - that is why I'm still afraid of lots of taint via sleet. We need the mid level centers to close off as quickly as possible. 

I agree-I also think we have to deal with mixing for a while. Hopefully the quicker phased outcome is correct.

Kocin, in addition to his forecasting skills, is an exceptionally lucid writer. Especially for a scientist.

IMO, there's enough of a damming signal to keep the winds from going E/SE for N. Queens, N. manhattan. If the precip starts with NE winds, between the damming and the evap cooling its hard to get a coastal front through here. This has no bearing in what's happening up above, and plenty of sleet still looks like its on the table.

Kocin, in addition to his forecasting skills, is an exceptionally lucid writer. Especially for a scientist. IMO, there's enough of a damming signal to keep the winds from going E/SE for N. Queens, N. manhattan. If the precip starts with NE winds, between the damming and the evap cooling its hard to get a coastal front through here. This has no bearing in what's happening up above, and plenty of sleet still looks like its on the table.

Fine by be long as its frozen.

FWIW mod snow in park slope brooklyn wasn't it surposed to start as rain / mix???

The models were too warm with their surface temperatures, for sure.

However, it still looks likely that just above the surface, we'll have some warm air advection and a lot of us will transition to sleet. When and how long is the big question.

The GFS is already too far east with the low, as it looks to be just inside of HAT, and below 1000mb. I think it should pretty much be disregarded.

The NAMs temps are too warm and the GFS temps and precip is off. So hopefully the 12z runs clarify things more

in line with the European guidance. It's too bad we don't have a model with the skill of the Euro.

Just taking a look at the meso page. The GFS QPF output is really off.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/archiveviewer.php?sector=19&parm=pmsl

versus

gfs_namer_009_10m_wnd_precip.gif

The western extent of the precipitation is significantly further west from what the GFS is depicting.

Not tremendously-look at the radar and notice how the precip is having a tough time getting west of Philly and DC. But the low placement already looks like it's wrong, which is quite encouraging that it won't slip east. Amazing that we still have all this uncertainty.

Just taking a look at the meso page. The GFS QPF output is really off.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/archiveviewer.php?sector=19&parm=pmsl

versus

The western extent of the precipitation is significantly further west from what the GFS is depicting.

Looking at the solid area of precip currently in VA, MD and north...it doesn't seem too far off where the gfs has it. It is definitely not expanding NW

Surface temps are 3-4 degrees under where they were modeled to be. Mid-level temps are much colder than modeled, at all levels. Surface low placement is where the 0z NAM had it. Doubt many who were supposed to changeover, changeover. The only difference from the 0z NAM will be a sharper cutoff on the NW fringe. NYC sees 18".

Looking at the solid area of precip currently in VA, MD and north...it doesn't seem too far off where the gfs has it. It is definitely not expanding NW

So the gfs is correct and schooled the Euro? So is 4-8" the most to expect then.

Nope. Did I ever say 4-8"? I think still 11-14", however the gfs is not too far from the current surface image precip-wise. And quite honestly, yes, the other models did shift east. So...schooled the euro? No. The euro has held the system for several days and remained fairly consistent. The outcomes of either model are surely not reliant on the other or any other model for that matter. But clearly the model runs of the euro that had this further NW and wound up so soon are going to prove to be wrong, and will most likely continue to trend east and slower with the development at 12z. Still around a foot for NYC though

Archived