• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

Base on the radar..gfs is too far east actually.

Thank you JSantana, thank you. I'm a freaking noob weenie myself but hot damn do I know a storm when I see one, and that right there, right down there, is a friggin storm people. This looks like a winter storm version of Sandy with the storm to our west, and the storm to our south. This is going to do it

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should know better than to bring that up before the snow has begun !

He said people bring that storm up to him all the time, but in this case it will really hit us, and then he talked about how things did not come together for that storm, but did here. He was not suggesting this storm could bust (in fact, he just referred to it as an epic storm). He did not suggest at all that this was like 2001 -- in fact he was saying we should not think this is like 2001.

You are mis stating what he said. His point was that a lot of pieces need to come together for a storm like this to happen. He said that in 2001 it happened up north

This time its happening here

Just mentioning March '01 this close to a possibly historic event makes people dive under their desks for cover. :lol:

The majority of the day from NYC east out through Long Island , it may just rain for most of the day light hours  . This system has so much energy that once the center is east of AC we change to heavy snow and tonite its a show

We will lose the accumulations during the day , but will make it up at nite . So if you surge into the mid 30s and your pouring its not a bust . The banding is what will cause the whiteout conditions take place tonite . I think the park and 5 boroughs finish with 10 and mayb more out on Long Island .

However I do now  think 20  prob out of the question for the city .. too much liquid in part 1 of this .

Craig Allen sees low 40`s through the NJ shore and Eastern Long Island as they are on an E WIND , and you`re not gona snow until they back around to the NE  . That will happen towards the end of the afternoon .

Think parts of  the Island max out at 15

The majority of the day from NYC east out through Long Island , it may just rain for most of the day light hours  . This system has so much energy that once the center is east of AC we change to heavy snow and tonite its a show

We will lose the accumulations during the day , but will make it up at nite . So if you surge into the mid 30s and your pouring its not a bust . The banding is what will cause the whiteout conditions take place tonite . I think the park and 5 boroughs finish with 10 and mayb more out on Long Island .

However I do now  think 20  prob out of the question for the city .. too much liquid in part 1 of this .

Craig Allen sees low 40`s through the NJ shore and Eastern Long Island as they are on an E WIND , and you`re not gona snow until they back around to the NE  . That will happen towards the end of the afternoon .

Think parts of  the Island max out at 15

Quick note my wind is out of the NE.

On LI - to be specific, with the exception of the north east quadrant of the island --  I see this as being one of those storms where we watch and wait patiently (or impatiently) for the rain/snow line to move over us so the accumulation can begin.  That's rain, not snow, just south of us right now.

Just going by 30+ years of history -- the classic storms that dump 15"+ on us simply do not start with a wall of rain on the radar - it is always snow with the only concern being the nice problem of virga, and when will see see the actual flakes.  That rain headed our way is not going to simply turn to snow until the storm really gets cranking, and that will take awhile.

Rain turning over to significant snow is a real rarity here.  Until the 2002 Christmas storm I would always post that significant changeover or wraparound snows never materialize around here.  Since that storm I've had to modify that statement to ' they rarely materialize around here.'

06z NAM seems like a possibility for the area....yesterday's runs and 00z were overdone and too far west but 06z could be close as it appears

00z NAM had the low in the EXACT same spot it's in now, at the EXACT same pressure....It's going the 00z nam route bro

00zNAM 15 hr

How far off was the 00z from current placement then?

Something to think about. Where ever you get the huge band forming wouldnt there be an area of subsedence right next to it???

So while someone is getting 3 inch an hour rates someone will be only getting light snow. This could be a difference in huge snow totals.

By the way, light snow here with a dusting so far.

I don't see a lot of rain with this storm taking a look at dewpoints, although there could be a few hours of mixing.

JFK: 34/26

NYC: 32/24

EWR: 34/26

Pretty decent airmass to push that precip into. 

Meso analysis shows quite the warm 925 mb tongue, sleet anyone? http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

On LI - to be specific, with the exception of the north east quadrant of the island --  I see this as being one of those storms where we watch and wait patiently (or impatiently) for the rain/snow line to move over us so the accumulation can begin.  That's rain, not snow, just south of us right now.

Just going by 30+ years of history -- the classic storms that dump 15"+ on us simply do not start with a wall of rain on the radar - it is always snow with the only concern being the nice problem of virga, and when will see see the actual flakes.  That rain headed our way is not going to simply turn to snow until the storm really gets cranking, and that will take awhile.

Rain turning over to significant snow is a real rarity here.  Until the 2002 Christmas storm I would always post that significant changeover or wraparound snows never materialize around here.  Since that storm I've had to modify that statement to ' they rarely materialize around here.'

Feb 2010 - Upton got 26

Jan 2011 - think there was close to 15 in 12 hrs

Both on the back end .

Agree the GFS qpf depiction looks out to lunch....bad news is not sure any model has a truly good handle on qpf placement in this area during and post phasing process....without a doubt the most difficult forecast for NYC metro area this close to the start of a major storm in years....I think the most extreme solution chances have diminished for the city and west, but my lack of sleep could be clouding my perceptions.

Agree the GFS qpf depiction looks out to lunch....bad news is not sure any model has a truly good handle on qpf placement in this area during and post phasing process....without a doubt the most difficult forecast for NYC metro area this close to the start of a major storm in years....I think the most extreme solution chances have diminished for the city and west, but my lack of sleep could be clouding my perceptions.

Yep...NYC appears to be the most difficult forecast here ! The area is right on the edge and borderline between the 6-12 inch amounts and the extreme 12-24" amounts....a foot of snow seems like a good call for the city now. If more rain or best banding to the east, then closer to 10, if not much rain and the best banding....maybe 16"+....will be exciting to watch this unfold !

Archived