joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We want more amped and a quick phase. If the phase is delayed, we essentially get a glorified frontal passage.

Yep and that is what the 18z gfs is showing, nothing more than light snow, phases way too late, minimal qpf.  Bad run for snow lovers that is for sure.  I really hope this isn't the beginning of a trend for 0z tonight, but like I said, my hopes weren't overly high for this in our area...

I'm not sure the "SE bias" applies here, because the reason the GFS was further SE was because it did not dig the northern stream wave as much as previous runs.

If you want to go with the Euro because it's the better model, feel free to do that. But this is not the typical "SE bias" problem. If anything, the GFS has had tendencies to dig the northern stream too much. It's certainly a good sign that the Euro is as gung-ho as it was with digging the northern stream. 

Perhaps the Euro would have a better handle on the energy diving down into the western States, which pumps up our rolling ridge and provides the chute for the northern stream wave to go. Or, perhaps the pattern is too progressive to allow the northern stream to dig as much as the Euro was showing. 

The optimism of NYC posters ("I honestly think this storm will be historic") is just stunning. None if the other big eastern forums-- midatlantic DC-BWI, PHL or SNE exhibit this

The optimism of NYC posters ("I honestly think this storm will be historic") is just stunning. None if the other big eastern forums-- midatlantic DC-BWI, PHL or SNE exhibit this

Well this is NEW YORK and our balls are bigger than everyones elses  . now you know

We go big , or we go home ....

Yep and that is what the 18z gfs is showing, nothing more than light snow, phases way too late, minimal qpf.  Bad run for snow lovers that is for sure.  I really hope this isn't the beginning of a trend for 0z tonight, but like I said, my hopes weren't overly high for this in our area...

Like I've been saying, late tomorrow is a better time to really start getting excited about anything. Maybe even later given the progressive pattern. Tons of chaos potential here and many solutions still on the table. The Euro's subpar record this year is also worrisome.

GFS is in a perfect spot 4 days out , its always SE with big storms . You dont want to be in the bullseye on the gfs 4 days out , the reason being it ALWAYS CORRECTS NORTH AND WEST .... come on now , how many times do you have to see it do this .

Relax , the answer is with the Euro , look at the GFS in a day ......

4 days out? Today is Tuesday and the storm is Friday. That's about 72 hours or 3 days.

I'm not sure the "SE bias" applies here, because the reason the GFS was further SE was because it did not dig the northern stream wave as much as previous runs.

If you want to go with the Euro because it's the better model, feel free to do that. But this is not the typical "SE bias" problem. If anything, the GFS has had tendencies to dig the northern stream too much. It's certainly a good sign that the Euro is as gung-ho as it was with digging the northern stream. 

Perhaps the Euro would have a better handle on the energy diving down into the western States, which pumps up our rolling ridge and provides the chute for the northern stream wave to go. Or, perhaps the pattern is too progressive to allow the northern stream to dig as much as the Euro was showing. 

Yeah, could go either way. But it wouldn't be the first time this year that we've seen these northern vorts just dissapear

Alan kasper was the only on air met/weather person who was worried about the forecast for snow changing to rain the night of 1/19/78...After watching him at 11pm and walking around in 4" of snow near midnight with heavy snow falling I knew we were going to get a big event...We got 14" before it mixed the next morning at dawn...

I think he was the only on air TV met back then that did his own forecasts and did not rely on the NWS - only one other was a meteorologist -Dr. Frank Field - another one had the title of Doctor which turned out to be false - Dr. Bob Harris - think Tex Antione was a cartoonist originally ..................

4 days out? Today is Tuesday and the storm is Friday. That's about 72 hours or 3 days.

Yeh even 3 days , should have edited it , the GFS has a habit of running the front max out on EC storms , only to correct north and west .

You will see , follow the Euro , when the Euro heads east then I worry , not the GFS its common .

I saw one post with those words...if you want to base the individual forums off of one poster than I have a feeling your ideas of the other regions would be different as well

Yeh even 3 days , should have edited it , the GFS has a habit of running the front max out on EC storms , only to correct north and west .

You will see , follow the Euro , when the Euro heads east then I worry , not the GFS its common .

I don't think that the OP Euro track is the problem. It's that it may be closing off the 500 mb low 12 hrs too

soon which would shift the CCB action northeast of the 12z OP run for a new England jackpot. It would

be a little too progressive for decent rain to accumulating snow with the center closing off north of

us. This would have to close off in a hurry like Christmas 2002.

Let me make clear that I hope this thread gets clobbered on Friday (I may even come up from DC to join in). But there's the strong stench of entitlement I sense here than in any other place on AmWx.

Nah , lil  irrational due to starvation  . And being at a mid latitude on the coastal plain , its always dicey here we know better  .

If you`re gona take the Amtrack up keep going , take it into Back Bay , thats where the real show will be .

I don't think that the OP Euro track is the problem. It's that it may be closing off the 500 mb low 12 hrs too

soon which would shift the CCB action northeast of the 12z OP run for a new England jackpot. It would

be a little too progressive for decent rain to accumulating snow with the center closing off north of

us.

Agreed , the longer its open the longer the mid levels stay warm , saw it on Dec 30 th . The Euro closes it off as fast as i think it can .

So if theres an error , it closes later I agree with you .

Just when I see the GFS south and east , I  just say ok , thats coming west , even if its a wetter scenario .

Agreed , the longer its open the longer the mid levels stay warm , saw it on Dec 30 th . The Euro closes it off as fast as i think it can .

So if theres an error , it closes later I agree with you .

Just when I see the GFS south and east , I  just say ok , thats coming west , even if its a wetter scenario .

I would have more confidence in the OP Euro solution with a west based block and stronger STJ to force

the vorts to phase earlier. The split flow leaves you with the impression that the OP Euro is about 12 hrs

too fast with the phase and close off. But I'll wait until we get within 48-60 hrs for the models to have a better handle 

on the situation with so many things that have to go right.

Certainly going to be very interesting to see what the 0z runs do later tonight, especially the Euro. While I am not completely sold on the idea of a snowstorm for the NYC metro region just yet its hard not to get a bit excited with what the Euro is showing. Hopefully the Euro has come out of its winter slump so to speak to regain its title as king.

I was one of his biggest fans...He used to appear on the Uncle Floyd show...Another favorite from 30 years ago...They called him Allan Kasteroil...

Alan was and is a very good meteorologist.  He was one of the few that actually used to go into the synoptics of the weather.  I think maybe the producers told him they didn't think the public was interested so he stopped doing it.  Since that time he has come off as just another on air weather guy.  He does have a lot of knowledge regarding New Jersey climatology which I respect a lot.

The difference I noticed between the 12z GFS and 18z GFS is the 850's are cooler on the 18z GFS, would expect that with a more SE LP. But surface temps are also a lot warmer on the 18z GFS. KISP goes to 45 degrees at 2m, which makes no sense. Where is it getting all that low level warmth? Certainly not the ocean which is in the upper 30's, low 40's. 10m winds are east at the onset of precip. I don't recall any snowstorms with winds starting out of the east, though it is forecast to change to north.

Archived