• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

The difference I noticed between the 12z GFS and 18z GFS is the 850's are cooler on the 18z GFS, would expect that with a more SE LP. But surface temps are also a lot warmer on the 18z GFS. KISP goes to 45 degrees at 2m, which makes no sense. Where is it getting all that low level warmth? Certainly not the ocean which is in the upper 30's, low 40's. 10m winds are east at the onset of precip. I don't recall any snowstorms with winds starting out of the east, though it is forecast to change to north.

If you look at the meteogram, before that the winds are southeast, which causes the warmth. Once the winds switch to east and then northeast the temp drops.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please someone explain how the EURO control run is different then the regular run?

From their website

"The ECMWF weather prediction model is run 51 times from slightly different initial conditions. One forecast, called the EPS control forecast, is run from the operational ECMWF analysis. 50 additional integrations, the perturbed members, are made from slightly different initial conditions which are designed to represent the uncertainties inherent in the operational analysis. The initial perturbations are generated using the singular vector technique."

Hey earthlight,  i know you mentioned about not being real optimistic about this friday threat, but do you think the 18z gfs just had a brain fart, or has it started the beginning of an inevitable trend here, given the unfavorable synoptic pattern.  And it's not just the gfs, it's also the canadian, as well as the nam (yea, i know the nam is crap that far out but...).   The ECMWF has f-ed up more than once this year so far, showing a big storm threat only to loose it. Thoughts? 

Hey earthlight,  i know you mentioned about not being real optimistic about this friday threat, but do you think the 18z gfs just had a brain fart, or has it started the beginning of an inevitable trend here, given the unfavorable synoptic pattern.  And it's not just the gfs, it's also the canadian, as well as the nam (yea, i know the nam is crap that far out but...).   The ECMWF has f-ed up more than once this year so far, showing a big storm threat only to loose it. Thoughts? 

The 18z Nogaps is all snow. Relax. The Euro, which has led the charge here, does have some support. And, at this range, the Nogaps is about as useful as the NAM.

Quit your worrying, the Euro has consistently shown over 1" of QPF for your area on the last 6 or 7 runs.

This threat is the real deal.

Hey earthlight, i know you mentioned about not being real optimistic about this friday threat, but do you think the 18z gfs just had a brain fart, or has it started the beginning of an inevitable trend here, given the unfavorable synoptic pattern. And it's not just the gfs, it's also the canadian, as well as the nam (yea, i know the nam is crap that far out but...). The ECMWF has f-ed up more than once this year so far, showing a big storm threat only to loose it. Thoughts?

To be honest with you, it's hard to say. There is always the argument that the Euro has the most advanced initialization scheme, so it should be the most trustworthy model in that regard. That being said, it has been on and off at best over the last month or two. I would be a lot less confident if it's ensembles didn't amp up as well at 12z.

I think we'll know more by 00z tonight and especially by 12z tomorrow. Getting all the data and pieces of energy sampled well is incredibly important.

All of that said, taking a step back, I can't say that the pattern favors a big bomb solution back to NYC or NJ. It's just barely too progressive I think..and the lack of blocking is hurting us as is the ridge axis being a big farther east than we would hope. This storm certainly favors New England if the phase works out. But I could see a 4-8" type deal here if it all works out perfectly.

I think everybody here loves being taken for a ride as I completely disagree with what the Euro shows and am on board with what the 18z gfs depicts. The pattern is far too progressive, the streams will phase too late for us and we'll get light precip, probably rain at best while parts of NE do quite well, but probably not as amazing as the Euro shows for places like Boston. 

Let's just be real here. Unless I see this within 24-36 hrs, then forget it. The pattern this winter has been suppressed and progressive and that's not changing sorry. 

i was in boston then, the ratios must  have been great because it even started as rain...hardest prolonged  snow i have ever seen,i just  figured ratios might not  be great due to marginaltemps.

It was actually quite a bit less (2.06"). I suspect that the intense convection, including thundersnow, contributed to the higher ratios.

Archived