• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

Should be noted that it collapses pretty rapidly from 78 hr to 84 hour. At 78 hr the 850 0c contour runs from Philly to Sandy hook.

We'd have to watch for a sneaky warm layer around 900 hPa if the Euro ens track verified...but the trend towards a faster developing coastal and CCB are very good.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of these SREF members are going absolutely crazy with this system very early now...right as it exits the M/A coast. The dynamics are strong enough to keep precipitation snow basically from the City northward with the 850 hPa low closing off with multiple closed contours on some members off the coast of NJ.

You can also see how the ones that develop the system slower have higher thicknesses farther north.

f75.gif

Some of these SREF members are going absolutely crazy with this system very early now...right as it exits the M/A coast. The dynamics are strong enough to keep precipitation snow basically from the City northward with the 850 hPa low closing off with multiple closed contours on some members off the coast of NJ.

You can also see how the ones that develop the system slower have higher thicknesses farther north.

Very interesting, not that it means much but this is a big change from the previous run. I see one member even closes off the H5 low at the NC/VA border  :weenie: 

It was actually quite a bit less (2.06"). I suspect that the intense convection, including thundersnow, contributed to the higher ratios.

Most of the BOS snow in 4/1/97 fell in about 8 hours as well helping with a higher ratio despite the calendar, unlike Feb 1978 which lasted for over 30 hours. 4/1/97 was prolific in BOS for its duration of 2-3" per hour snows. Basically 6-8 hours straight. They only had about 3.5" at midnight from what I recall and ended up with 25.4". Most of the meaningful snow was over by 8-9am.

Most of the BOS snow in 4/1/97 fell in about 8 hours as well helping with a higher ratio despite the calendar, unlike Feb 1978 which lasted for over 30 hours. 4/1/97 was prolific in BOS for its duration of 2-3" per hour snows. Basically 6-8 hours straight. They only had about 3.5" at midnight from what I recall and ended up with 25.4". Most of the meaningful snow was over by 8-9am.

Just the same, most of our 18" during the 12/30/2000 storm fell in about 6 hours from 5-11am.

I was walking around Madison, NJ during that storm around midnight and it was nothing you'd think that would lead to that much snow so there's no doubt about it, the big time snows fell in just those 6 hours or so.

The snow just exploded off the NC coast then and headed up here. You wouldn't even know there was a snowstorm enroute until late the night before it hit.

Absolutely. It was probably a lot like the February 2006 snowstorm in NYC where the heaviest snow fell during the morning of February 12.

The OP may be trying to close 500 mb off about 12 hours too soon compared to the ensemble mean.

A later closing off would have the best CCB potential in New England.

attachicon.gifGeopotential32at32500hPa_North32America_96.gif

Per Earthlight the 12z EC ensemble mean is even more amplified and closer to the coast than the op.

18z NAM - Still a whiff but slightly more of a low pressure off the coast, while the 15z SREF's massively hopped on board. now this is confusing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the NAM at this point. It's still beyond it's good range. The Euro and SREF's are really on board with the GFS also somewhat on board. Hopefully the 18z GFS either holds serve or improves.

HPC for Friday, I'm not sure there is a single reliable model out there which keeps QPF under 1" for a majority of the area so I don't know what they are looking at.

Obviously they don't want to go all-in after 2 model runs, and are trending their predictions closer and closer in order to be cautious. If tonight's model runs hold, they'll obviously make the QPF much wetter

Obviously they don't want to go all-in after 2 model runs, and are trending their predictions closer and closer in order to be cautious. If tonight's model runs hold, they'll obviously make the QPF much wetter

If they had doubled that QPF amount over New England I would have still thought it was a conservative forecast. The day 3 probs are low as well. I understand that this is a fragile situation, but the guidance is overwhelmingley in good agreement of a big storm. You have the 12z ECMWF/12Z ECMWF ensembles/ JMA and to an extend the GFS and its ensembles. Lets also add the new SREF's. That's a pretty strong consensus.

Archived