joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a wind driven blizzard for Boston and sitting on the edge of a major snowstorm for many of the suburbs of NYC.

I mean as is the Northern and eastern burbs do really well. The problem with the western burbs is the lack of heavier precip. I think with this run you could even say NYC metro on the verge because it wouldn't have taken much for this to shift that way.

I mean as is the Northern and eastern burbs do really well. The problem with the western burbs is the lack of heavier precip. I think with this run you could even say NYC metro on the verge because it wouldn't have taken much for this to shift that way.

Similar to November storm?

I know it's early but it sounds like locations such as KMMU and KSMQ do very well?

im not sure how, given this depiction we (all of us) dont rock...specifically the shape and position of the high. If the mid levels are cold and its only 950mb and lower couldnt we cool sufficiently?

130205182058.gif

So the big question is will this come further west over the next few days to hug the coast with the more amplified solution

and neutral to positive NAO.

I don't think so, the pattern is too progressive out west I think.  This is basically a perfectly timed setup occurring in an otherwise bad pattern

Northwest areas still get into the very heavy snow as the CCB sets up from about Trenton north and east. Meanwhile as the city changes over us inland folks have been snow all along. Without having more data I don't want to speculate on totals but I would imagine the I-287 corridor gets slammed on this run.

So the big question is will this come further west over the next few days to hug the coast with the more amplified solution

and neutral to positive NAO.

If it trends faster with the phase, I'm beginning to think our area will benefit more than struggle even with the track close to the coast. The faster we get the mid level lows off the coast to become dominant, the better we will do.

If it trends faster with the phase, I'm beginning to think our area will benefit more than struggle even with the track close to the coast. The faster we get the mid level lows off the coast to become dominant, the better we will do.

Exactly, we learned on 12/25/02 and 4/6/82 it does not matter if the low is only 50 miles to your southeast, if its closed off at all levels in an even remotely cold air mass you're going to snow.

Northwest areas still get into the very heavy snow as the CCB sets up from about Trenton north and east. Meanwhile as the city changes over us inland folks have been snow all along. Without having more data I don't want to speculate on totals but I would imagine the I-287 corridor gets slammed on this run.

still 6-10 probably. BUt I was referring to the fact that total precip really ramps up as you go north and east. 

Agreed.  Where I'm sitting in NW NJ, the closer it gets, the colder the storm is getting thanks to CCB.  That faster phase let's that happen. 

Game.  On.  FINALLY!

im not sure how, given this depiction we (all of us) dont rock...

130205182058.gif

Verbatim that's heavy snow for all of us once the dynamics and CCB really get cranking. The question is how soon it does so and where it does so. Do we have to put up with an initial slug of crap WAA type precip that's slop or rain for many of us, or do we have enough of a clean phase soon enough to crash heights and temps down to the coast? And does that happen in time for us or only in time for New England? Still tons to iron out.

Archived