joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps REALLY don't matter in a sense at this point....yes in the beginning with garbage precip, that could start as slop/rain...but it all comes down to the phase. If it pahses in time, it will snow and it will snow a lot. If it doesn't minimal precip anyway. Track is good, so if phase occurs in time were good to go...

The NAM needs to close off 12 hrs sooner for the Euro solution. 

attachicon.gif f72.gif

I think it does , the Euro has been scary consistent in its last 4 runs with this . the NAM and GFS were first South and East and now they r both up the coast , so the finally came around to the right track .

Now i think it catches on that this really starts to bomb once east of HATT and not east of AC .

And thats all the differences are right now ....

if this actually happens, I won't even turn my tv on till the week after its over. Double kick to the balls if this were to happen

Miller B's have sharp cutoffs generally, but that to me is almost certainly overdone. It's probably way too wet up in New England-again, I don't buy widespread 20" or more totals from this-too fast a pattern. Even 12/26/10 which almost stalled for a time under a -NAO regime didn't produce anything like what the NAM shows.

move that closed isobar SSW about 150-200 miles and were game

technically called an isohypse ;) (line of equal height contour), but yes, ideally we'd want that 150-200 miles further SSW. This run's look was still pretty good, though.

I expect today's 12z GFS to show something like yesterday's 12z Euro. Just like with the 11/7 snowstorm, the GFS will probably be a bit warmer than the Euro, all else being equal. 

From JB this morning....

He says the colder run means that heavier accumulations will be further south and west and NYC to Boston is in line for the heaviest with alot of this area getting 1-2 feet of snow, even with rain mixing in on the coast. ECMWF/ JMA blend is closest to his current thinking. This means a crippling event for much of the area from N Jersey through southern and central New England. He sees hurricane force winds as possible in coastal areas. He sees an extensive storm from north of I 70 in the midwest - with the I80 corridor from Chicago to PA seeing more than 4 inches and a band of 8-12 inches Michigan into New York State. The SW side of accumulations of more than 3 inches could reach as far south as BWI to ACY

Miller B's have sharp cutoffs generally, but that to me is almost certainly overdone. It's probably way too wet up in New England-again, I don't buy widespread 20" or more totals from this-too fast a pattern. Even 12/26/10 which almost stalled for a time under a -NAO regime didn't produce anything like what the NAM shows.

Even if you took the 4-5" QPF and cut that in half, with 12:1 ratios it's still a 30"+ storm for them.

:

Archived