joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the best NYC on air television forecaster of the 1970's here.

I believe he mostly did the 10 pm slots.

He was on at 11 PM on the channel 2  news  starting in the early 70's think he did the early news too - always remember the late Jim Jensen introducing him - too bad there aren't any youtube clips of him ..........

18z GFS: SO CLOSE

f69.gif

Not really. We need that southern stream vort to be phased before it hits our latitude, and for the 700/850mb lows to be cut off. The primary is still very strong, and the coastal looks like it's taking its sweet time forming. That would be a New England special and for most of us, crud or rain.

This is exactly what happens. To late for us on this run

in appears to be in response to the trough out west, on the 12Z run it digs deeper which in turn pumps up the heights just east of the rockies. This allows the shortwave coming east over the GL's to dig deeper and be sharper...

so now we rely on the digging trough out west.

Exactly, so if this run is colder than the 12z and less amped, i take it as a good sign

dont think so...the only way we are getting a significant snow is if this wraps up in the mid levels which would likely require a much more amped system. less amped, like the GFS woudl have us at 38 and rain with no way to get us cooled down.

He was on at 11 PM on the channel 2  news  starting in the early 70's think he did the early news too - always remember the late Jim Jensen introducing him - too bad there aren't any youtube clips of him ..........

He did a great job with the Hurricane Belle forecast from on the Saturday evening broadcast. I have a lot of respect for those

70's guys with the primitive computer models during that time.

GFS is in a perfect spot 4 days out , its always SE with big storms . You dont want to be in the bullseye on the gfs 4 days out , the reason being it ALWAYS CORRECTS NORTH AND WEST .... come on now , how many times do you have to see it do this .

Relax , the answer is with the Euro , look at the GFS in a day ......

Alan kasper was the only on air met/weather person who was worried about the forecast for snow changing to rain the night of 1/19/78...After watching him at 11pm and walking around in 4" of snow near midnight with heavy snow falling I knew we were going to get a big event...We got 14" before it mixed the next morning at dawn...

Archived