Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snow threats for the mountains.

Met1985

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

roads are ice here as well. I figured you would have come out better in the snow dept.

Ya we did well. Amazing what a 30 minute drive does for snow. In town were I work just a skiff. Hardley anything but the closer I got towards home the more the roads turned to ice and white. This weekend seems to be looking better and better with each model run.

Huge bust here, barely got a dusting if that last night. Apparently the skies weren't healed enough from Wednesday's monsoon!

Same for KTRI - barely a dusting.  I think it was partially b/c the temps warmed up to 38 degrees so I am not even sure it began as snow.  Nice coating of ice under the skiff of snow on the windshield this morning.  My office in Erwin had about a 1/2 inch and roads were pretty bad. 

It will be interesting to see if Saturday afternoon/night can overperform.  ALL the rain events have overperformed and all the snow events (what few there have been) have underperformed.

here in west asheville just a skiff, talk to my mom in weaverville and she has about an inch and a half, now thats just a 20 minute drive from my house to hers.  its amazing the difference in the snow just 20 minutes apart. woke up this morning temp was 34 at 5am and now 23 and the wind howling.

Same for KTRI - barely a dusting.  I think it was partially b/c the temps warmed up to 38 degrees so I am not even sure it began as snow.  Nice coating of ice under the skiff of snow on the windshield this morning.  My office in Erwin had about a 1/2 inch and roads were pretty bad. 

It will be interesting to see if Saturday afternoon/night can overperform.  ALL the rain events have overperformed and all the snow events (what few there have been) have underperformed.

yea we need to turn that around the other way.

here in west asheville just a skiff, talk to my mom in weaverville and she has about an inch and a half, now thats just a 20 minute drive from my house to hers.  its amazing the difference in the snow just 20 minutes apart. woke up this morning temp was 34 at 5am and now 23 and the wind howling.

Northwest flow events have always fascinated me.  That part of North Buncombe county will almost always cash in on a NWF event.  East Asheville can actually get some accumulations from these events sometimes too.  West Asheville, however...

As a side note, I am headed down east today for the weekend, which pretty much guarantees that this weekends event will over-perform.  Enjoy the snow.

Interesting that the Chattanooga horse shoe got all the way up to Knoxville last night. Snow on three sides, but not in town. TRI was probably the temperature issue mentioned above. And the west Ashville and other NC shadows are fascinating. That's why we love weather! Lots of fun but the ski areas cashed in.

12Z WRF/NAM does indeed boost qpf. Initializing the vort max way farther south, which is even more bullish than perhaps the qpf change. Of course they are directly related. Digs vort from Arkansas thru North Miss and North Bama to SC, with a better southern end of the PVA. Yesterday it just kind of sheared out over Tenn. That is nice!

Ski areas are like the West lately. Snow showers every day. It will be 4 days in a row from Thursday to Sunday. Even if you don't ski, a weekend snow begs a visit to the high country. Should be daytime snow Saturday. Cheers!

:ski:

Archived