Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
High Wind Warning Into Early Thursday

bluewave

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds so far here are unimpressive compared to prior events in similar proximity to the cold front. We shall see if that trend continues...

Cold front is still at the Ohio/PA border, at least 8 hours away. Winds weren't even forecast to be strong right now. Don't let that radar fool you. Most of the precip in PA is pre-frontal. And to be honest. In most frontal situations like this, the strongest winds occurred either after the front, or about an hour before the front passes. 

Prime examples:

12/27/2011 - winds picked were light to moderate for the afternoon hours then for a few hours in the evening, the winds really gusted, over 60mph.

3/6-3/7/2011

6/2/2012

12/21/2012 - recent example, winds weren't strong until an hour or two before the front passed

12/7-12/8/2011 - Winds were virtually calm until the rain came, then winds picked up instantly, 69mph wind gust at Bridgehampton.

Cold front is still at the Ohio/PA border, at least 8 hours away. Winds weren't even forecast to be strong right now. Don't let that radar fool you. Most of the precip in PA is pre-frontal. And to be honest. In most frontal situations like this, the strongest winds occurred either after the front, or about an hour before the front passes. 

Prime examples:

12/27/2011 - winds picked were light to moderate for the afternoon hours then for a few hours in the evening, the winds really gusted, over 60mph.

3/6-3/7/2011

6/2/2012

12/21/2012 - recent example, winds weren't strong until an hour or two before the front passed

12/7-12/8/2011 - Winds were virtually calm until the rain came, then winds picked up instantly, 69mph wind gust at Bridgehampton.

Trust me I wasnt fooled by that dying convective type line out ahead of the main precip area. After really paying attention to and monitoring these events for years living right on the beach I think that's the problem. I now live in Wantagh not Long Beach even though I am only a couple blocks from the Bay its just not the same. I guess its adjustment on my part!

I was pointing that out earlier. I've already picked up over 0.25" here and it's been raining since 4:30

Yeah but you can definitely see on the latest radar that the heaviest is staying over western sections for the time being and weakening over NE NJ and the city. I don't the city on east sees much until late tonight which would be on track.

Archived