• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe (tornado + wind) event looming: 01/30-01/31 Wed.-Thursday

Ground Scouring

NWS NEEDS to stop using the phrase "hurricane force winds" in its advisories.

The winds are not 1-minute sustained greater than 74 mph.  That is the threshold necessary for a hurricane, otherwise they are just wind gusts >= 74 mph.  

No they don't.  I know some people may be picky about definitions, but when the public hears the word "hurricane force" in their public advisories, it relays to the general public a real sense of the danger of these strong winds.  The general public doesn't care about some definition.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Severe storms just don't seem to be able to hold together here in the mountains. Just heavy rain and one clap of thunder. Several high wind gusts before the line arrived, but underneath it the winds are fairly calm.

Tstm warnings are busting here and the wind warning may be a bit overdone, but at least the public is warned and hopefully paying attention.

I'm at 2.1" for the day, and about a half inch last night. Approaching 11" for the month though.

No they don't.  I know some people may be picky about definitions, but when the public hears the word "hurricane force" in their public advisories, it relays to the general public a real sense of the danger of these strong winds.  The general public doesn't care about some definition.

To add to this...people living in and around the highlands, upstate, mountains, etc. do not understand the difference, and clearly do not need to.  A 75 mph wind - whether lasting 10 seconds or 1 minute - is a 75 mph wind.  It doesn't take a minute to crash hardwood limbs from inflexible oaks - Pecan trees do not have the elastic survival bend like Palm trees.

Sun finally peaking through here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of concern for anything widespread in this area, though, outside of an isolated gust or two to severe limits.

I was getting ready to say the same thing. Hope the sun coming out doesn't increase the instability much. But the system isn't supposed to get here until around 7:00 tonight.

Severe storms just don't seem to be able to hold together here in the mountains. Just heavy rain and one clap of thunder. Several high wind gusts before the line arrived, but underneath it the winds are fairly calm.

Tstm warnings are busting here and the wind warning may be a bit overdone, but at least the public is warned and hopefully paying attention.

I'm at 2.1" for the day, and about a half inch last night. Approaching 11" for the month though.

pretty much too much high terrain and cooler temps on the ridgetops kill these everytime.

To add to this...people living in and around the highlands, upstate, mountains, etc. do not understand the difference, and clearly do not need to.  A 75 mph wind - whether lasting 10 seconds or 1 minute - is a 75 mph wind.  It doesn't take a minute to crash hardwood limbs from inflexible oaks - Pecan trees do not have the elastic survival bend like Palm trees.

That's just it!  If they don't understand the difference, how would they understand the analogy?

If the NWS has to use an incorrect analogy to convey the seriousness, its probably not the best one to use.  If the winds are only forecasted to 69 mph, which is still severe, and still dangerous, but not "hurricane force" , should the scenario be ignored?

No, not at all!  So the NWS is creating a precedent that's doomed to come back and bite them (public ignores advisory because its not "hurricane strength").  

Sorry for hijacking thread.  back to the original focus.

OK. I was going by the Raleigh NWS briefing they had earlier. Must have slowed down some.

Some storms can pop off around 7pm though ahead of the squall line...making it seem like it's reached us before it actually has, but I'd definitely listen to the NWS over what the NAM is saying at this point in time, haha. But it definitely has slowed down since last night per the models.

I was working from home today and the storm missed up by, maybe, 1.5 miles.  It went between where I was and where my daughter was in school. Damage to the town of Adairsville is extensive. I would be surprised if this wasn't an EF-3 at the very least. With all of the roads closed, it took a while to get back to the house. Luckily for us, our subdivision has underground lines and the power just came back on but much of Adairsville is older and may not get power back for a while based on what I witnessed.

I was working from home today and the storm missed up by, maybe, 1.5 miles. It went between where I was and where my daughter was in school. Damage to the town of Adairsville is extensive. I would be surprised if this wasn't an EF-3 at the very least. With all of the roads closed, it took a while to get back to the house. Luckily for us, our subdivision has underground lines and the power just came back on but much of Adairsville is older and may not get power back for a while based on what I witnessed.

I justed asked about you in the other thread. Good to hear you and yours are ok. North Bartow has become a tornado magnet.

I was working from home today and the storm missed up by, maybe, 1.5 miles.  It went between where I was and where my daughter was in school. Damage to the town of Adairsville is extensive. I would be surprised if this wasn't an EF-3 at the very least. With all of the roads closed, it took a while to get back to the house. Luckily for us, our subdivision has underground lines and the power just came back on but much of Adairsville is older and may not get power back for a while based on what I witnessed.

Glad to hear you and your family are ok.

I justed asked about you in the other thread. Good to hear you and yours are ok. North Bartow has become a tornado magnet.

Man, I am sick of this already. I thought the area of Cherokee I used to live at was bad but this is our 3rd brush with literal disaster in 2 years. Thanks for you guys thinking about us. The town is pitiful.

Archived