joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe (tornado + wind) event looming: 01/30-01/31 Wed.-Thursday

Ground Scouring

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish I was out & about but, they are not mine. We haven't had crazy precip amounts it just came really quick & the ground is just totally saturated! At my location 1.26" in about the last 3 hrs & 6.03" for the month. We average around 36" per year!

Ya Don just unreal the amount of rain we ahve seen the last 2-3 weeks. The ground cannot take anymore. That is why we ahd so many trees falling over and uprooting around here when that squall line came through.

Hey Don I bet Amboy road is flooded pretty bad tonight. The river always flood right there in that spot when we have rains like this.

Haven't heard any reports yet 85 but, as you said it is one of the first places to go under!

Edit: Amboy is flooded, here is a Asheville Citizen-Times link to a story about the storm & its impact on the WNC Mnts.

http://www.citizen-times.com/viewart/20130130/NEWS/301300021/Updated-Streets-flood-storm-pounds-region

Upstate Scan@UpstateScan

Swift water rescues in Boone. RT @CodyAlcorn Red Cross shelters being opened in #WNC due to flooding. Evacuations underway.

TWC Breaking@TWCBreaking

Part of Highway 215 "caving in" in Translyvania County, N.C. Numerous reports of flooding across western NC

Jim Cantore@JimCantore

N Rosman, NC: DEBRIS FLOW -- mudslide on highway 215. road closed between old cherryfield rd and macedonia church rd. road caving in.

Haven't heard any reports yet 85 but, as you said it is one of the first places to go under!

Edit: Amboy is flooded, here is a Asheville Citizen-Times link to a story about the storm & its impact on the WNC Mnts.

http://www.citizen-times.com/viewart/20130130/NEWS/301300021/Updated-Streets-flood-storm-pounds-region

Nice read Don thanks. Ya Carrier park usually goes under pretty quick.

I bet it is.  Heard that sweeten creek at marrimon was flooding and shut down, also parts of river road near craggy being shut down.  

Really that is a lot of water down in the city to shut parts of that street down.

Buncombe County scanner link if anyones interested.  I like to listen in on counties that are under tornado warning.  Mod please move this if it doesn't belong in this thread.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1897

Oh nice link. Thanks!

Get ready NC peeps to the east!

mcd0104.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0104   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0609 PM CST WED JAN 30 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST NC AND SOUTHWEST VA      CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 22...      VALID 310009Z - 310115Z      THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 22   CONTINUES.      SUMMARY...STRONG WIND POTENTIAL WILL CONTINUE THE NEXT 1-3 HOURS   ACROSS WW 22. AREAS DOWNSTREAM OF THE WATCH ACROSS SE VA/NE NC WILL   BE MONITORED FOR SEVERE POTENTIAL AND POSSIBLE WW ISSUANCE LATER   THIS EVENING.      DISCUSSION...AT LEAST A MARGINAL SEVERE THREAT WILL CONTINUE THE   NEXT 1-3 HOURS ACROSS THE WATCH AREA. STRONG DEEP LAYER /0-6KM 70+   KT/ WILL CONTRIBUTE TO STRONG/LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND POTENTIAL. RADAR   TRENDS OVER THE LAST HOUR OR TWO HAVE SHOWN INCREASING CORES ACROSS   NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE WATCH AREA. THESE CELLS WERE LIKELY BEING   ENHANCED ALONG AN EWD SURGING OUTFLOW BOUNDARY MOVING INTO A   WARM/MOIST AIR MASS. FURTHER SOUTH...CONVECTION HAS STRUGGLED TO   ORGANIZE. HOWEVER...AS THE CENTRAL CONUS UPPER TROUGH BECOMES MORE   NEGATIVELY TILTED...STRONGER FORCING FOR ASCENT AND HEIGHT FALLS   WILL SURGE E/NEWD. ADDITIONALLY...A SUBTLE VORT MAX EMBEDDED IN   LARGER SCALE FLOW WAS EVIDENT IN EVENING WATER VAPOR AND CURRENTLY   MOVING ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS OF NC...AND THIS FEATURE MAY ALLOW FOR   AN INCREASE IN CONVECTION ACROSS THE SOUTHERN WW AREA THE NEXT FEW   HOURS.      OTHERWISE...DOWNSTREAM CONDITIONS ACROSS SE VA/NE NC WILL BE   MONITORED FOR POTENTIAL WW ISSUANCE LATER THIS EVENING...AS THE   AFOREMENTIONED FORCING/HEIGHT FALLS OVERSPREAD WARM SECTOR.

A short video montage from today in Franklin. 

The biggest problem was downed trees on power lines and some places flooded in town that haven't flooded in more than a decade. At one point several thousand people in Macon and Jackson Counties were out of power.

As of half an hour ago the numbers were:

Jackson County 2,391
Swain County 1,418
Graham County 890
Cherokee County 378
Macon County 286

Total in NC/SC 11,037

Duke has a webpage with more up to date figures at http://bit.ly/WNCMAP

After I got home, there was a really loud clap of lightning (just one) that people seem to have heard for about ten miles around. http://is.gd/L4cBdm 

Archived