joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe (tornado + wind) event looming: 01/30-01/31 Wed.-Thursday

Ground Scouring

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FAIL in Carrboro. The winds were stronger well before the line. Nothing impressive at all. Definitely a letdown.

2.17 inches of rain for this event. The monthly total is somewhere near 11 inches. Total since December 25 is well over a foot. The strong south winds never really materialized here. Our strongest winds so far have actually come out of the west in the past hour.

Pretty much accurate.  I think the sustained winds after the front totally passes will be more impressive.  Hurricane Sandy'ish per say while it was way up North.

Main line about to hit move through area....pretty decent winds. BTW, there was a fire in Lillington/Buies Creek that should be on most Raleigh news channels tomorrow AM...it was a pretty huge brush fire caused by someone...get this...playing with fireworks in 20+mph winds. It got within 100 feet or so of homes, my friends house was pretty close. I got a video I'll post probably later!

Wow! Definitely saw some 50+ gusts...recorded a video with the iPhone, some of the wind scared the crap out of me while I was on my patio! lol...also my patio chairs are MIA.

Going to wait and see what we get, for the last couple of hrs every update of obs at PGV has had a gust over 40 and most to 45-46, I am at work and plan to take my "lunch" right before the line gets here and head out to the parking lot which is nice and open. The last Meso Disco from SPC stated the LLJ was 75-90KNTS so if any of that can get mixed down it would be intense but so far the line doesnt seem to have been able to really tap into the LL wind field and mix it down very well.

Dont hold your breath for it guys, its windier behind the main front than the squall line.

Dunno we have been gusting 40-50 mph for several hrs now, but so far I agree reports with the actual squall line are pretty blah wind wise. I havent seen wind like this since April 16th 2011 where the winds infront of the line were gusting mid 50's.

Dunno we have been gusting 40-50 mph for several hrs now, but so far I agree reports with the actual squall line are pretty blah wind wise. I havent seen wind like this since April 16th 2011 where the winds infront of the line were gusting mid 50's.

Definitely hit me up in PM etc if they get stronger afterwards (if you have power)  pretty much all reports today were marginal at best as the line passed.  Most I saw from others and myself were that the squall was basically a heavy heavy rain brining down a little wind with it.  I went outside about 10 mins ago, and was cold as ice (expected after 70s to 40s) and heard wind almost breaking trees.\

Edit: you may have gotten into a mini bow type echo in the squal line.

Definitely hit me up in PM etc if they get stronger afterwards (if you have power)  pretty much all reports today were marginal at best as the line passed.  Most I saw from others and myself were that the squall was basically a heavy heavy rain brining down a little wind with it.  I went outside about 10 mins ago, and was cold as ice (expected after 70s to 40s) and heard wind almost breaking trees.\

Edit: you may have gotten into a mini bow type echo in the squal line.

Squall hasnt really gotten here yet prolly in the next 30 mins or so, going on lunch to sit out in the parking lot just to see, I would be impressed if we end up with 40-50 mph gust on the backside as well.....all our wind so far has just been pre frontal SW winds, I have a buddy in Wilson to the west that said the squall line was decent but nothing earth shattering so my expectations are low.

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPGV.html

Squall hasnt really gotten here yet prolly in the next 30 mins or so, going on lunch to sit out in the parking lot just to see, I would be impressed if we end up with 40-50 mph gust on the backside as well.....all our wind so far has just been pre frontal SW winds, I have a buddy in Wilson to the west that said the squall line was decent but nothing earth shattering so my expectations are low.

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPGV.html

Here IMBY, the squal line (as said earlier) looked like a mini tornado with wind mixing down to the surface.. prob 45 gust at most... you being up closer to the core low, you may luck out (if you want that).  I'd hate to have 50 mph winds/gusts for the duration of the front/cold air moving in.

Archived