joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe (tornado + wind) event looming: 01/30-01/31 Wed.-Thursday

Ground Scouring

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a little worried here I'm in Rockingham which is in central nc right on nc/sc border...sun has been out here most of the day with a current temp of 74 degrees, worried about those tornadoes that are coming later this evening but maybe they will die out by the time they reach here ??

Yeah, that is not a good sign with the sun out which will cause lift and instsability in the atmosphere. When the squall line comes through, just be very alert.

Douglas County couplet - I'm still very new at this playing-with-Analyst-thing.  But I couldn't resist grabbing a frame as it passed over home (Winston, Georgia, in western Douglas County).  It was SVR but not TOR at the time.

post-6144-0-25991600-1359571960_thumb.jp

(whine whine it figures, I relo to Alabama and my first storm system here results in HOME getting all the action)

Statement as of 1:46 PM EST on January 30, 2013

The National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for... 
northern Habersham County in northeast Georgia... 
Rabun County in northeast Georgia... 
western Buncombe County in western North Carolina... 
Haywood County in western North Carolina... 
northwestern Henderson County in western North Carolina... 
Jackson County in western North Carolina... 
Macon County in western North Carolina... 
Madison County in western North Carolina... 
western Transylvania County in western North Carolina... 
northwestern Oconee County in upstate South Carolina... 

* until 245 PM EST

* at 143 PM EST... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a
line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing hurricane force
winds in excess of 70 mph.
These storms were located along a line
extending from 5 miles southeast of Waterville to Balsam to Unicoi
State Park... and moving east at 45 mph.

Hurricane force winds moving through far western NC...

530839_458768210844271_13924140_n.jpg

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC206 PM EST WED JAN 30 2013GAC137-241-NCC021-087-089-099-113-115-175-SCC073-301945-/O.CON.KGSP.SV.W.0002.000000T0000Z-130130T1945Z/RABUN GA-HABERSHAM GA-BUNCOMBE NC-HAYWOOD NC-HENDERSON NC-MACON NC-MADISON NC-TRANSYLVANIA NC-JACKSON NC-OCONEE SC-206 PM EST WED JAN 30 2013...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHWESTERNOCONEE...JACKSON...WESTERN TRANSYLVANIA...MADISON...SOUTHEASTERNMACON...NORTHWESTERN HENDERSON...HAYWOOD...WESTERN BUNCOMBE...NORTHERN HABERSHAM AND RABUN COUNTIES UNTIL 245 PM EST...AT 203 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED ALINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HURRICANE FORCEWINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH.  THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINEEXTENDING FROM HOT SPRINGS TO LEICESTER TO CLAYTON...MOVING EAST AT45 MPH.SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL IMPACT LOCATIONS NEAR...  CRUSO AND CASHIERS.  I-26 AT I-40 AND PINE MOUNTAIN.  LAKE TOXAWAY.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN PRODUCE TORNADOES WITH LITTLE OR NO WARNING.SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER IF A TORNADO IS SPOTTED.THESE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO PRODUCING EXTREMELY HEAVYRAINFALL. FLOODING OF DRAINAGE DITCHES AND LOW LYING AREAS MAY OCCUR.DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH AREAS WHERE WATER IS FLOWING OVER THE ROAD.

Per NWS: Over 100 cars overturned near exit 306 on I-75 in Georgia from tornado

HA! At least I know one person follows me on Twitter. ;)

link?

Here's what the NWS said online (about a 3rd of the way down next to 1:50PM): http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/live-blog-dangerous-weather-un/5117429#.UQlz4GfufTo

NWS NEEDS to stop using the phrase "hurricane force winds" in its advisories.

The winds are not 1-minute sustained greater than 74 mph.  That is the threshold necessary for a hurricane, otherwise they are just wind gusts >= 74 mph.  

Archived