Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 25th Winter Weather Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned previously, it's odd that there is literally NOTHING on the radar back until you get to West Texas. It's going to be interesting, with such a weak system, how much it blossoms in the overnight hours. If we could just open the gulf.... any chance of this still happening?

Not sure why you would be wishing for that. The warm nose means business if it tapped the gulf this would be a crippling ice storm...there would be the off chance that WAA could warm us just enough to not be ice but it would not bring snow. Either there is pretty much no chance of that happening. All eyes on the 00z.

So with this storm, the sooner the clouds move in, the better? It's still looking pretty light, right? At what time frame do models really start to become accurate? Are we in that time frame?

The only accurate models are the ones that run backwards.

-12 hour GFS

-24 hour Euro

Both would be accurate

So with this storm, the sooner the clouds move in, the better? It's still looking pretty light, right? At what time frame do models really start to become accurate? Are we in that time frame?

Clouds will really simply help keep it cold so if you want it cold then yes you would want the clouds to move in right around 7am.  Right now it does look light but the NAM just spit out some better totals, if that trend continues then it could spell trouble. As for models becoming accurate it's a toss up. Over all the NAM and SREF do well within 24 to 48 hours. Tomorrow all eyes will be on the RAP and HRRR models as they tend to better in the very short term.

Not sure why you would be wishing for that. The warm nose means business if it tapped the gulf this would be a crippling ice storm...there would be the off chance that WAA could warm us just enough to not be ice but it would not bring snow. Either there is pretty much no chance of that happening. All eyes on the 00z.

I completely get where you're coming from. However, with weather, I'm always hoping for pretty much the most extreme. I guess it's akin to not being able to look away from a bad car wreck. There are definitely many on this forum in the same boat.

Anyways, it's unreal how dry the air is. My DP is currently at 2. There's going to be a lot of virga before anything reaches the ground/trees/roads/anything remotely near us.

Clouds will really simply help keep it cold so if you want it cold then yes you would want the clouds to move in right around 7am.  Right now it does look light but the NAM just spit out some better totals, if that trend continues then it could spell trouble. As for models becoming accurate it's a toss up. Over all the NAM and SREF do well within 24 to 48 hours. Tomorrow all eyes will be on the RAP and HRRR models as they tend to better in the very short term.

Do you (or anyone else) have the times that these short-term models run? I know the RAP comes out hourly but the other ones I can never keep up with since I only have the desire to look at them two or three days out of the year.

Never ever, ever ever ever ever ever bet against the HRRR within 15 hours. At least for my area it has been short range money for the past 2-3 years. Heartbreak or glory, HRRR drrr FTW.

HRRR

NAM:

interesting to see some differences...

It's the best simulated radar in the business.

Never ever, ever ever ever ever ever bet against the HRRR within 15 hours. At least for my area it has been short range money for the past 2-3 years. Heartbreak or glory, HRRR drrr FTW.

Its usually spot on or horrendous for any given event and you can tell early on if its got it or not, if its way off at the start don't even bother with it the rest of the day.

Its usually spot on or horrendous for any given event and you can tell early on if its got it or not, if its way off at the start don't even bother with it the rest of the day.

That's actually good to know as I'm only speaking anecdotally for my area. :)

Archived