Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 25th Winter Weather Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WxSouth just said this about the Canadian.

Canadian model also looks more like ECMWF with a moderately strong Winter storm as a low develops in the Tenn Valley and hits cold air damming on Friday. This model is much more agressive with the precip and lift than GFS. This would be a decent snowfalll for most of Virginia and northern NC, and up the Immediate coast, with significant icing in Upstate SC and central Piedmont NC, after getting its start in northern and eastern TN, and dropping some snow and sleet TN, KY.

Everything is trending Euroish, no suprise here so far. Hard to beat the euro back to back runs inside 5 days with agreement from it's ensembles. IN NC triad temps arent gonna be the concern moreso than qpf.

CAN,Ukie(72) both line up well with the Euro.

GFS 12z is dry and it's ensembles are pretty much in agreement with the op/.

I will be curious to see the members though, I am hoping there are several really dry ones and several more amped up ones...

From WxSouth. Sounds like the most of the models are closer to the Euro than the GFS. I think the bolded part is key.

Looking at all the new models coming in now, and only one remains to be seen: ECMWF (european). The new UKMET model also leans toward ECMWF and Canadian runs in a significant system. In fact UKMET digs the energy so far west that it taps a lot of moisture and would be a MAJOR Winter storm from Upstate SC northward through Interior NC and almost all of Virginia with strong damming and a lot of moi...sture falling in the subfreezing air. Here's a look at UKMET model for Friday morning at the jetstream level (this is much more intense and dynamic than GFS). The energy to create this storm isn't on the West Coast yet, so when that feature gets sampled well in the models, we'll start to see all of them come into better agreement one way or the other.

Caving is sending it into the ohio valley, not cutting down precip one or two tenths of an inch

With the HP the runs are not going to punch it through the arctic air and into the OH valley. Guess I was looking for the EURO to show something more positive toward the other global models. Hey Burger do you have QPF output as of yet?

With the HP the runs are not going to punch it through the arctic air and into the OH valley. Guess I was looking for the EURO to show something more positive toward the other global models. Hey Burger do you have QPF output as of yet?

I would say 2 - 4 of snow for central and northern NC probably W-S north and in to VA. Hard to say what something like CLT would get. Looks like ZR to snow maybe an inch or so? Also I agree that this did not cave at all the GFS...just a little colder and lighter with the precip...if anything it went a hair south. 

I would say 2 - 4 of snow for central and northern NC probably W-S north and in to VA. Hard to say what something like CLT would get. Looks like ZR to snow maybe an inch or so? Also I agree that this did not cave at all the GFS...just a little colder and lighter with the precip...if anything it went a hair south. 

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like anything for TN, but eastern KY and southwest VA have been looking good with prior model runs.  What does it show for those areas Burger? 

Archived