• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 25th Winter Weather Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

Guess I jumped the gun a little bit guys sorry about that. Just frustrated this winter. Looking at the EURO def. agree with Burger and NCSnow not as bad at first glance. Would def. prefer a more southern colder track.

Well you were right in one aspect, the GFS seems to be the correct model, if you ignore CMC/NoGaps.  Pretty amazing, if this hold the GFS has been kicking the Euro's butt inside 4 days.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wondering about the timing.  When does it move into the piedmont of NC?

TW

Early to mid afternoon, through the coastal plain around 10pm.  Verbatim, >80% of NC does not get above freezing on Friday, not sure I buy that.  Amounts look to be a couple to maybe 3/10"s of an inch for most everyone in the state, a few 0.375-0.5" totals se portion.

Roughly 0.42", TRI is all snow, TYS is close, the surface temps warm just above freezing, 850's are good.

Much appreciated............

It would be nice to see if it can "juice" up a little more and NOT get lesser and lesser the further east you go as depicted by the Euro @ 12z.  I am rooting for you east of the apps guys/gals.

Allan Huffman@RaleighWx

NE TN. 3-4 for rest of east TN, NC mountains, NE NC/SE Va. 2-3 NC foothills/piedmontcentral Va, NE Ga, upstate SC. 1-2 just south of there.

Much appreciated Don, thanks for posting that.  Good luck to you guys with this one. I hope it trends a bit more "juicy" for you guys east of the apps.  It looks like a decent track at the least.  Maybe qpf can bump a tenth or two in future runs.  That would be quite a mess for some on your side of the "hill"

I've found the wunderground version of the euro to be pretty accurate qpf-wise. If you need a number, just tally the frames.

That said - looks like a frz rain to snow event for BNA. maybe 1-2 inches. If you're in TN, and you're north and east of a Chattanooga to Clarksville line (basically I24) you should do well. The valley may have some issues with downsloping though.

When qpf is spit out, does it take into account moistening up the column or should any amounts spit out by modeling be reduced to account for "virga"? 

I can't remember the answer to this, but I know it has been discussed over the last year or two.

From my understanding it only takes into account what is in the atmosphere and could fall. All QPF numbers should as always be taken with a grain of salt as it could go either way.

Just like the last event, remember, we have plenty of time for this thing to trend further south and juicier...like the majority of the systems we have had this winter, models have greatly under predicted the QPF at this time frame

I wonder if this could be the case when the energy to create this storm gets to the West Coast and is sampled well in the models like WxSouth/Foothills mentioned.

I've found the wunderground version of the euro to be pretty accurate qpf-wise. If you need a number, just tally the frames.

That said - looks like a frz rain to snow event for BNA. maybe 1-2 inches. If you're in TN, and you're north and east of a Chattanooga to Clarksville line (basically I24) you should do well. The valley may have some issues with downsloping though.

Question is , is Nashville going to be too far Southwest. Sumner county looks to be a good spot if you are wanting to stay in Middle Tennessee, North of I-40 of course.

Archived