Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 25th Winter Weather Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did all the Georgia posters go? I want to know how Atlanta is fairing. 

Weatherunderground has them a high of 57 today. They are already at 37. Is the event over with there? I know schools and stuff closed across north Georgia. 

not sure how atlanta is doing, but ne ga is at least getting some winter wx.  off and on sleet and freezing rain still going on, but just not very heavy unfortunately lol  definitely a glaze on everything and the temp is 26. 

not sure how atlanta is doing, but ne ga is at least getting some winter wx.  off and on sleet and freezing rain still going on, but just not very heavy unfortunately lol  definitely a glaze on everything and the temp is 26. 

I've been in the OBs thread.  Light glaze with .07" QPF and high of 26...so far.

lots of reports of sleet mixed with freezing rain here in Upstate SC over to NE Georgia from Toccoa all the way to Pumpkintown and Gaffney down further south... roads were bad on my trip home, but i may be one of the few who don't wig out driving in it... maybe I'm too low-key or somethin

but,  :axe:  man...

this "event" was 100% minor since the bulk of it was in and out in less than 3 hours, yet some of our viewers will never be satisfied with a forecast that called for a light glaze of sleet/freezing rain (no snow) leading to possible bridge and road concerns sometime between the morning and mid-afternoon... oh wait, yes that actually IS what happened

ah, well, at some point I will punch someone in the jimmy... I need a 6-pack of cold rain

lots of reports of sleet mixed with freezing rain here in Upstate SC over to NE Georgia from Toccoa all the way to Pumpkintown and Gaffney down further south... roads were bad on my trip home, but i may be one of the few who don't wig out driving in it... maybe I'm too low-key or somethin

this "event" was 100% minor since the bulk of it was in and out in less than 3 hours, yet some of our viewers will never be satisfied with a forecast that called for a light glaze of sleet/freezing rain (no snow) leading to possible bridge and road concerns sometime between the morning and mid-afternoon... oh wait, yes that actually IS what happened

ah, well, at some point I will punch someone in the jimmy... I need a 6-pack of cold rain

Don't worry man. When you roll out the accum map for the big snowstorm late next week, people will love it! :)

Yes, overall a minor event as was progged.  I'm suprised it did what it did actually but overall I found the roads in CLT were ok.  What I WAS impressed with was the surface temps.  I'm not sure I've seen a high of 26 in CLT ever.   Impressive surface wedge.  Hopefully this is just going to be the warning shot for the rest of winter.  I really feel we can get a good snow pop in the mouth the next 2 weeks or so. 

Yes, overall a minor event as was progged.  I'm suprised it did what it did actually but overall I found the roads in CLT were ok.  What I WAS impressed with was the surface temps.  I'm not sure I've seen a high of 26 in CLT ever.   Impressive surface wedge.  Hopefully this is just going to be the warning shot for the rest of winter.  I really feel we can get a good snow pop in the mouth the next 2 weeks or so. 

agree on the wedge... definitely a very stout low-level airmass today and fog could be bad news later tonight for us

Don't let the minority ruin your day (although a cold rain sounds good).....It's not the "some" you do it for  ;)   It's for weather nerds like me, you, and quite a few others, that appreciate what you do and how you do it  :hug:  

CLT official high of 27 yesterday was the coldest low maximum temperature for that date (tied with 1940).  

RECORD EVENT REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC155 AM EST SAT JAN 26 2013...RECORD LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE TIED AT CHARLOTTE NC...THE HIGH TEMPERATURE ON FRIDAY AT THE CHARLOTTE DOUGLASINTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WAS 27 DEGREES.  THIS TIES THE LOWEST MAXIMUMTEMPERATURE FOR JANUARY 25 AT CHARLOTTE. 27 DEGREES WAS PREVIOUSLYSET AS THE LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE ON JANUARY 25 IN 1940.  RECORDDATA HAVE BEEN CONTINUOUSLY KEPT FOR CHARLOTTE IN THE MONTH OFJANUARY SINCE 1879.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that the RGEM, which consistently had rather significant wintry precip. further south in GA, did horribly. As I had mentioned in advance, the Canadian model has a too far south bias with wintry precip. and that's why I was saying that I didn't buy those runs that had the wintry precip. further south than the GFS/Euro. This example is why I will continue to mention this too far south bias of the Canadian when it is off in its own vs. the GFS/Euro.

Let's face it. The Canadian is inferior to both the GFS and the Euro. Time and time again it has verified the worst of these three. It may not be as bad as the 60-84 hour NAM, but it is quite unreliable at those hours or even within 48, which is RGEM territory. Geez, it may not be all that much better than the JMA!

Atlanta has had no wintry precip. this month from the two SE wintry events. If one were to have relied on the Canadian, he/she would be looking pretty bad right now. This has been a problem for a good number of winters. It isn't anything new. Don't let the pretty colors of different types of wintry precip. draw you in as a victim. Better looking graphics don't a better model make.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that the RGEM, which consistently had rather significant wintry precip. further south in GA, did horribly. As I had mentioned in advance, the Canadian model has a too far south bias with wintry precip. and that's why I was saying that I didn't buy those runs that had the wintry precip. further south than the GFS/Euro. This example is why I will continue to mention this too far south bias of the Canadian when it is off in its own vs. the GFS/Euro.

Let's face it. The Canadian is inferior to both the GFS and the Euro. Time and time again it has verified the worst of these three. It may not be as bad as the 60-84 hour NAM, but it is quite unreliable at those hours or even within 48, which is RGEM territory. Geez, it may not be all that much better than the JMA!

Atlanta has had no wintry precip. this month from the two SE wintry events. If one were to have relied on the Canadian, he/she would be looking pretty bad right now. This has been a problem for a good number of winters. It isn't anything new. Don't let the pretty colors of different types of wintry precip. draw you in as a victim. Better looking graphics don't a better model make.

I have to respectively disagree, sir.  I realize that you are focused on GA weather more than any other state, but in my opinion the RGEM did quite well for NC.  It consistently showed decent precipitation amounts in all of NC, while the GFS was showing a fizzled storm with relative minimum locations in the lee of the Apps (the NAM also showed this lee).  Therefore, I tend to give a decent amount of credence to the RGEM for this storm.  It kept the idea of a decent ice storm for all of NC for several days leading up to the event.  Obviously, we are looking at this model through differently-focused lenses, but I think the Canadian took the GFS out behind the woodshed for a beating (at least in NC). 

I have to respectively disagree, sir. I realize that you are focused on GA weather more than any other state, but in my opinion the RGEM did quite well for NC. It consistently showed decent precipitation amounts in all of NC, while the GFS was showing a fizzled storm with relative minimum locations in the lee of the Apps (the NAM also showed this lee). Therefore, I tend to give a decent amount of credence to the RGEM for this storm. It kept the idea of a decent ice storm for all of NC for several days leading up to the event. Obviously, we are looking at this model through differently-focused lenses, but I think the Canadian took the GFS out behind the woodshed for a beating (at least in NC).

I agree the rgem did very well for western nc.

I have to respectively disagree, sir. I realize that you are focused on GA weather more than any other state, but in my opinion the RGEM did quite well for NC. It consistently showed decent precipitation amounts in all of NC, while the GFS was showing a fizzled storm with relative minimum locations in the lee of the Apps (the NAM also showed this lee). Therefore, I tend to give a decent amount of credence to the RGEM for this storm. It kept the idea of a decent ice storm for all of NC for several days leading up to the event. Obviously, we are looking at this model through differently-focused lenses, but I think the Canadian took the GFS out behind the woodshed for a beating (at least in NC).

Yeah, my comments are mainly based on how it has done over the years, overall, in the bulk of N GA south of the mountains, where I focus. Not only did it do poorly very recently, it has had a good number of runs just a few days out giving 4"+ snow down as far south as the Atlanta-Athens corridor for other storms when neither the GFS nor the Euro had anything of significance.

The GFS didn't do great in N GA either though it did reduce its QPF during the last couple of days of runs unlike the RGEM. I thought the Euro did best of the three in N GA as it pretty consistently had very little ZR. Then again, it tends to have a warm two meter temperature bias when there is steady precip. falling in winter. However, that is consistent and I normally know to take that into account.

Archived