Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 25th Winter Weather Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we are slow, where is our system at?

Yes...there is very loosely organized precipitation in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona moving along with the developing northern energy, but, some of that will not be part of our system!  It is a bit startling, more like waiting for thunderstorms to pop in the summer.  Predictive radars show that eventually there will result some type of organization of the southern energy.  Some predictions show a band at frontal passage and others show something looser.

Raleigh,

When I look at panels 24 and 27 on the NAM, each shows .25 QPF over tidewater, but when you look at total QPF through 36 hours - it still says .25. Shouldn't that reflect at least .50?

That is the precip for the last six hours.  You are looking at panels three hours apart so some of that is overlapping.

0z NAM actually knocked off a bit of QPF here in my neck of the woods, but it's all within the margin of error, so no biggie.  I'm glad that the NAM is staying fairly consistent with this.  Some areas look to be in for a nasty ice storm, though.

Well those on the lee side of the Apps might be counting their blessings with this one. If it manages to skip over I'm fine with that. NAM simulated radar has .25 just to my south north and east. With from about Mooresville south to just west of Cleveland county with around .10 of QPF.  The Hi-Res radar though did put some heavy returns right over MBY but maybe we can get spared the icy mess. 

Raleigh,

When I look at panels 24 and 27 on the NAM, each shows .25 QPF over tidewater, but when you look at total QPF through 36 hours - it still says .25. Shouldn't that reflect at least .50?

I would have to see what images/source you are looking at. Seems like maybe you are looking at 6 hour precip every 3 hours.

Archived