amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 27-28 Wintry System

wisconsinwx

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the QPF to accretion factor for ZR?

Depends on a lot of things which include ground/object temps, precip rate, raindrop temperature just to name a few. I usually don't assume that the entire amount on those accumulated zr graphics is going to accrete, but sometimes it seems like it's pretty close. Of course that assumes that the modeled precip amount that falls as freezing rain is close to accurate.

In non-marginal cases (time of year with strong sun angle, temps right at 32) I've always assumed 1:1.

Using a recent event as an example..

With the Jan. 12th ice event here I picked up 0.10" of ice accural off of 0.11" of precip.

Depends on a lot of things which include ground/object temps, precip rate, raindrop temperature just to name a few. I usually don't assume that the entire amount on those accumulated zr graphics is going to accrete, but sometimes it seems like it's pretty close. Of course that assumes that the modeled precip amount that falls as freezing rain is close to accurate.

fair enough. Guess it makes sense...outside of the amount water expands when it freezes, I guess there'd be no reason for anything but a 1:1 ratio, assuming everything that made it to the ground froze.

fair enough. Guess it makes sense...outside of the amount water expands when it freezes, I guess there'd be no reason for anything but a 1:1 ratio, assuming everything that made it to the ground froze.

Late to the party, but I have always gone with 1:1 in non-marginal events like SSC. I would suspect given time of day and forecast temperatures that this won't be marginal until close to sunrise when the temperatures approach 32.

GFS shows VPZ getting 0.43" before 2 m temps rise above 32 F.   :yikes:

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KVPZ

Edit: 0.51" at LOT, 0.48" at ORD.

Should mention that 1) I think that is overdone, and 2) if precip rates did end up being on the higher side, that would push actual accrual rates down to less than 1:1, so it kind of ends up being somewhat of a negative feedback loop.

Still though, impressive numbers.

What do the pro mets (and other qualified members) think about the claim that even if 2 m temps are slightly above 32 F, the "surface" can still be accruing ice?

We had an event in LAF several years ago where it seemed like we were accreting with 2m temps around 33-34. I know it was late December but can't remember the year. It had been very cold prior to the storm.

Edit: I think it was 12/23/08. High temps were in the teens and low temps were near 0 in the 1-2 days prior to the storm

What do the pro mets (and other qualified members) think about the claim that even if 2 m temps are slightly above 32 F, the "surface" can still be accruing ice?

It is possible especially after a strong arctic outbreak, though I wouldn't bank on that adding much more to the accretion.

00z model guidance is looking frightening to the I-94 corridor from about I-80 north to a GRR to Flint line south… Model spread is now 0.15″ to 0.46″ ice accumulation. If this continues, there will be a sizeable ice storm. Latest guidance also shows temperatures staying below freezing longer until around midday Monday.

GFS is giving Battle Creek .39" QPF below freezing.

:rolleyes:

I remember a freezing rain event during late January 1999. After all the arctic air had moved out, there was a system that produced freezing rain, and I remember that it was 33-34° with ice on ground surfaces. Not in the trees, but because of all the snow and cold ground there was ice on untreated surfaces.

I remember a freezing rain event during late January 1999. After all the arctic air had moved out, there was a system that produced freezing rain, and I remember that it was 33-34° with ice on ground surfaces. Not in the trees, but because of all the snow and cold ground there was ice on untreated surfaces.

Good point. I discussed that with our EMA group yesterday. I'm thinking that with the temp profiles that are forecast, ice accretion should not be too much of an issue on trees/powerlines in this area. However road conditions could be  :yikes:.

Good point. I discussed that with our EMA group yesterday. I'm thinking that with the temp profiles that are forecast, ice accretion should not be too much of an issue on trees/powerlines in this area. However road conditions could be  :yikes:.

I give it the frozen turkey theory.... Even with surrounding air temps above or well above freezing it can take some time to remove the frost from the ground. There are many factors to consider for the dethawing of surfaces. The intensity and temperature of the rain will make all the differences with the thaw. Air to frozen ground will take time to pull the cold out, but add some warm water to the sink where the turkey is sitting....

During a flash freeze surfaces will freeze at different rates. One of the fastest ones is wood. When I see the wood deck starting to ice over then its time to head out. This usually give me a 1hr window to get the salt in place. Here is my list of freeze ups from fast to slow.... Wood, grass, bridges, concrete, gravel and lastly asphalt.

I would expect the opposite for tonight.... Watch out for the northern side of buildings. These will tent to take more time to thaw simpilly for the lack of radiant heating.

Archived