joxey
January 27-28 Wintry System

wisconsinwx

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to stick to the script.

haha

Just curious about what he's thinking. I mean, there are some reasons to think it might not be a big deal. Strong southerly low level flow is not a good way to rack up big ice amounts but I can think of a few such events in the past several years that produced borderline warning or warning criteria amounts in the region before changing to rain.

haha

Just curious about what he's thinking. I mean, there are some reasons to think it might not be a big deal. Strong southerly low level flow is not a good way to rack up big ice amounts but I can think of a few such events in the past several years that produced borderline warning or warning criteria amounts in the region before changing to rain.

He may have been talking about his hood specifically. ORD and "outlying" areas a different story IMO.

If anything, seems the 12z runs were the most bullish on a good hit of ice. Along with your thoughts, another event where snow cover in and downstream would've helped keep things colder, longer. But you know...

He may have been talking about his hood specifically. ORD and "outlying" areas a different story IMO.

If anything, seems the 12z runs were the most bullish on a good hit of ice. Along with your thoughts, another event where snow cover in and downstream would've helped keep things colder, longer. But you know...

Ah, I forgot he may be talking about his lakefront paradise. :guitar:

Is it paradise down by the lakefront?  Isn't that where all these people got trapped in their cars during the snowstorm a few years back? 

Looks like a possible ice monster here...  Could be ugly week for wrist fractures...  Lots of business coming for orthopedic surgeons and maybe a few podiatrists...

Yeah, when sand, frozen lake water spray and snow is whipping at your face in 60mph winds - it's not paradise!

GGEM puts out every precip. type.

PT_PN_060_0000.gif

How did his RPM verify for the last several "events" ?

Well it was a little too dry on last nights' run. From what I can see it's a decent gauge close to an event and when mild boundary layers are not present.

It's probably as reliable as the NAM!

IND mentioned the cold ground possibly allowing freezing rain to occur with air temps a bit above freezing. That would be one difference compared to that Dec 2007 event...the cold snap in the days leading up to this is more impressive this time.

Thats what happened here last friday.  Was actually around 36 during precip and many schools had to cancel

Archived