joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 27-28 Wintry System

wisconsinwx

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been pretty busy the past couple of days and haven't been following this threat too closely. Should maybe add southern MN and WI to the generator alert, huh?

Maybe Nam says prolly not but gfs says yes. If it is liquid precip around here it will freeze fast ground and roads are very very cold and a low of 2 below tonight.

LOT lays it out pretty well.

FORECAST SOUNDINGS HAVE BEEN FAIRLY CONSISTENT OVER THE PAST FEWDAYS SHOWING SLIGHT COOLING WHEN PRECIP BEGINS BUT THEN RAPIDWARMING ALOFT. THIS CERTAINLY SUPPORTS PRECIP TYPE ALOFT STARTINGAS SNOW/SLEET...PERHAPS MAINLY SLEET THEN TRANSITIONING TO ALLRAIN AND WHILE THAT COULD STILL CHANGE...THE MOST CHALLENGING PARTOF THIS FORECAST AND AS NOTED A FEW DAYS AGO...SPECIFICS MAY NOTBE KNOWN UNTIL SUNDAY MORNING...ARE THE SURFACE TEMPERATURES.EXPECT INCREASING MID/HIGH CLOUDS SATURDAY EVENING AND LIKELYBECOMING CLOUDY/MOSTLY CLOUDY BY SUNDAY MORNING. SHOULD SEE AQUICK DROP IN TEMPS INTO THE LOW/MID TEENS SATURDAY EVENING...THENSTEADY OR SLOWLY RISING INTO SUNDAY MORNING AND LIKELY INTO THEMID/UPPER 20S BY LATE SUNDAY MORNING. THERE IS REALLY NO PUSH OFWARM/MOIST AIR AT THE SURFACE. THUS WITH DEWPOINTS ONLY IN THE20S...AN EARLIER ONSET OF THE PRECIP COULD MEAN SURFACE TEMPS MAYCOOL A FEW DEGREES. AN EARLIER ONSET OF PRECIP WOULD ALSO LIKELYMEAN A LONGER PERIOD OF SLEET OR MIXED SLEET/SNOW...WHICH WOULDFURTHER HINDER SURFACE TEMPS WARMING TO OR ABOVE FREEZING. ONCETHE WARM LAYER IS SUFFICIENT FOR FULL MELTING...PRECIP TYPE WILLCHANGE OVER TO FREEZING RAIN. ITS THE DURATION OF THIS EXPECTEDFREEZING RAIN THAT IS DIFFICULT TO PIN DOWN...GIVEN SEVERALFACTORS ALREADY MENTIONED. IN ADDITION...THE GROUND WILL ALSO BECOLD AND EVEN IF SURFACE AIR TEMPERATURES ARE AT/ABOVE FREEZING...ICE ACCUMULATION MAY STILL OCCUR...ESPECIALLY ON ELEVATEDSURFACES.

I absolutely hate zr. AFD's in the area seem to think that WAA will ultimately win out but length and type of precip makes all the difference.  Sunday afternoon and evening could be a real mess.  Not buying Skilling's RPM snow model on this one, particularly if tonight's models show overrunning and a shallow cold layer persisting.

The NAM is really eating a lot of potential precip with a low-level dry layer...again.

Verified relatively well last night, so it makes me think it may again.

But at the same time, does unexpected dryness help us evap cool and keep the surface below freezing longer than expected?

The NAM is really eating a lot of potential precip with a low-level dry layer...again.

Verified relatively well last night, so it makes me think it may again.

But at the same time, does unexpected dryness help us evap cool and keep the surface below freezing longer than expected?

Yes this would help hold the temps down, could really elevate the ice potential some if this does happen.

Dry air issues are quickly replacing sleet as my most hated winter weather thing.

The thing we might have going for us this time is much stronger warm air advection aloft with a pretty respectable low level jet pointing toward the area. We didn't really have that here today so it makes me hopeful that the dry air issue won't be quite as bad.

Looks like mostly snow here per the NAM. Maybe a bit of a PL or ZR as the pcpn ends. Still 48 hours for this to screw up.

"For this to screw up"? LOL. That is what has become of you after four crap winters for you. I really hope you guys get dumped on some time soon. I lived up in Muskoka for two years and LOVED the seasons there. Winter was AWESOME.

"For this to screw up"? LOL. That is what has become of you after four crap winters for you. I really hope you guys get dumped on some time soon. I lived up in Muskoka for two years and LOVED the seasons there. Winter was AWESOME.

To be fair, 2010-11 had a few embedded screw jobs, but overall was a good winter.

Muskoka's great. Might have to think about retirement there. You took a small step back in terms of snowfall I'd say by leaving Muskoka for Muskegon.

To be fair, 2010-11 had a few embedded screw jobs, but overall was a good winter.

Muskoka's great. Might have to think about retirement there. You took a small step back in terms of snowfall I'd say by leaving Muskoka for Muskegon.

For sure! That is one reason I have I have had trouble adjusting. Muskoka is a True winter lover's heaven! I would have stayed there if I was Canadian. :) although, even both winters I was there, they lost most of the snowpack from a big thaw. They also have been affected this year too.

Two feet or more of powder both winters...and winter activities galore. LOVED IT! Falls there were also gorgeous. By far the WORST time was late April through June...Black flies and Mosquitos make you want to rip your skin off!

NAM would deliver a tenth or so of glazing here.  GFS would give us almost 1/3" of glaze before changing to rain late in the day.  RGEM looks somewhere in between.  NAM did really well with the dry air mass last night, but with more of a southerly flow/gulf connection I'm not as apt to buy the ultra dry NAM at this point. 

Either way it continue to looks like we'll see no flakes with this.

Archived