Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 27-28 Wintry System

wisconsinwx

I looked at the soundings.

Sounding for this location at 96 hours. All snow.

GFS_3_2013012400_F96_42.5000N_88.0000W.p

Ok, I'll be honest, I looked at the maps on Wxcaster, and I saw a warm layer, however small it is, in the mid to upper levels creeping in the area (even my area) almost right at the onset of precip.  That tells me it's a big concern that we wouldn't even see an inch of snow until it flips over to freezing rain most likely and then plain rain.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I'll be honest, I looked at the maps on Wxcaster, and I saw a warm layer, however small it is, in the mid to upper levels creeping in the area (even my area) almost right at the onset of precip.  That tells me it's a big concern that we wouldn't even see an inch of snow until it flips over to freezing rain most likely and then plain rain.

Ok, I haven't checked the wxcaster maps. Twisterdata was the source of my information.

What was wxcaster showing a few days ago?

Why do you only use the 1000-850mb line to determine the all snow line?  If there's one thing I learned from the recent sleet storm, it's that none of the lines, even the 850-500mb 0C line, can be north of your location if you are to be confident of receiving snow in that period.

For snow you want the entire column below freezing. 

Taking the GFS forecast sounding for verbatim we would see a few hours of snow before change over. However at this point its not really worth worrying about the details. Whats for sure is we're going to be dealing with precp issues.

A couple snippets from LOT:

WITH GUIDANCE PRODUCING 0.20-0.50 INCHES OF LIQUID QPF ACROSS THE CWA SUNDAY AFTERNOON/NIGHT...THIS SUGGESTS THE POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT PERIOD OF SLEET/FREEZING RAIN.

and thereafter:

IT WILL LIKELY BE RAINY/SHOWERY HOWEVER...AS ALL MODELS INDICATE A MID-LEVEL SHORT WAVE TROUGH LIFTING THROUGH THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE LARGER SCALE LONG-WAVE TROUGH...INCREASING DEEP FORCING FOR ASCENT ABOVE VERY MOIST WARM SECTOR AIR MASS. COULD EVEN BE CONSIDERABLE THUNDER...EVEN SEVERE WEATHER...WITH 12Z GFS SOUNDINGS DEPICTING 500+ J/K OF MLCAPE AND 50-60 KTS OF 0-6 KM BULK SHEAR TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

12z Euro doesn't look much of anything but a cold light rain for LAF. Maybe a brief mix to start...though again, my main concern would be getting any precip in here, versus what the 2m temps may be.

Looks to me like it starts with a mix. Everything is going to be happening very fast.

Can't look at BUFKIT right now but peeking at some forecast soundings and ptype maps, it looks like there could be a pretty large area of ice with this one. Hard to pinpoint where the worst will be but looks like a broad area from IA/MO eastward into IN may be at risk for amounts approaching or exceeding 1/4"

Getting to be that time of year in our area. I am interested in the t storm possibilities for Tuesday for Indiana.

Yeah, spread the wealth ice in this kind of setup with WAA blasting in. Rapidly changing thermal profiles ensure that no particular area locks it in for like 12 hours....well, probably not.

Mid-levels trended even warmer with today's guidance as I expected last night.  Looks like a little freezing rain/sleet before light rain and drizzle here.  Shouldn't see any snow at all with this in these parts.  Southerly surface winds, and zero snow cover could allow warmer temps to arrive even sooner than modeled, so wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a 98% rain event.

Mid-levels trended even warmer with today's guidance as I expected last night. Looks like a little freezing rain/sleet before light rain and drizzle here. Shouldn't see any snow at all with this in these parts. Southerly surface winds, and zero snow cover could allow warmer temps to arrive even sooner than modeled, so wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a 98% rain event.

Another thing to consider is that WAA precip often starts faster than modeled.

Archived