• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE winter 2013 banter thread for the final 2/3 left

Ginx snewx

Frankly I'd rather the full latitude warm up by the GFS, and I am not saying that merely because I've decided to close the book early on this winter as of late.  

If you are snow enthusiast, you want that.  If you area  cold dry non-event ennui enthusiast, you want the Euro.  

If the full-latitude idea transpires, that's usually prelude to -NAO type of deal.  This is because WAA delivers a big dose of higher heights up N; this can excite at least a temporary blocking period.  

Often time snow events book end negative NAOs, on the way in and/or out of the negative phase. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly I'd rather the full latitude warm up by the GFS, and I am not saying that merely because I've decided to close the book early on this winter as of late.  

If you are snow enthusiast, you want that.  If you area  cold dry non-event ennui enthusiast, you want the Euro.  

If the full-latitude idea transpires, that's usually prelude to -NAO type of deal.  This is because WAA delivers a big dose of higher heights up N; this can excite at least a temporary blocking period.  

Often time snow events book end negative NAOs, on the way in and/or out of the negative phase. 

100% agree aside of closing the book on winter.  I think even after the pattern spins out we'll have our shots.  Heck we got snow in a 25 day warm period earlier...and maybe we get a big one.

Let's get a major storm sweeping across the country and see what happens.

it's going to be quite warm before that if it verifies...but then a fairly cold after...obviously.

How's the LES been going?

BTW you nailed it with the real money/lobbyists earlier in the thread.

NE on north FTW.

Even last year...the chasers did have sone success so it's not always a fail even with a ridge. 

Yeah I've gone through the last 10 years for that June window on the SPC storm event archive and it looks like there's always something going on in the high plains and then the occasional outbreak in KS/NE/SD/ND. 

I spoke with Ian and he said it's not the greatest time but it's not bad and the high plains/june are some of the most photogenic storms. 

Does the phase bomb have support?  or is the weaker solution by the EC favored?

A GWO orbit into phase 8-1 would promote more separation but good luck trying to time these things out to the day. I also wouldn't say the "euro bias" is at play either since we've seen this game before and the ECMWF ended up being correct. Then again, we have awesome cyclonic wave breaking going on in the N PAC and these will be capable of full latitude troughs (-AAM has effectively propagated to 50-60N from their easterlies). So, to answer your question, I have no freakin' idea.

Sorry to hear about your lack of snow still. Good thing is you have another chance on the way.

HPC's discussion is just out and they seem to still be blending the 0z ensembles.  They do suggest a possible significant rain event Tues-Wed in the east.  They also suggest good les mid week.

there should be good les somewhere not sure if it will be here...i'd favor east and southeast of the lakes at the moment but that could change.

Archived