• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE winter 2013 banter thread for the final 2/3 left

Ginx snewx

In terms of snowfall...it's probably to closer to 2/3rds remaining (climo) than 1/3rd.

And most pepple here basically care about snow bottom line.

Ironic, climo snowiest time is near. Many a Jan has been a cold dand dry scenario with a tremendous Feb follow up, actually almost a precursor. The Tobin Toaster crew has a point about how their winter has been pretty snowless, does nothing to preclude a strong finish. Things can change on a dime precip wise. It is what it is. No meltdown from me. Hard to meltdown on things you have no control over.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's not the historical norm, but I agree with Kevin on December.  Lately we need it because we're losing the back innings of winter.

My take on what happens in the next 2-3 weeks is we see the mild up next week to whatever degree, a cold down,  some potential systems one way or the other (could go way west again or end up near/suppressed), and by about 2-10 to 2/15 we're unloading the pattern.  Our best chance for real storminess probably comes as the pattern finally breaks down and we get rid of this stupid PV.

Always have to hope for a big late turn...  1956 and 1993 being the bench marks.  

Ironic, climo snowiest time is near. Many a Jan has been a cold dand dry scenario with a tremendous Feb follow up, actually almost a precursor. The Tobin Toaster crew has a point about how their winter has been pretty snowless, does nothing to preclude a strong finish. Things can change on a dime precip wise. It is what it is. No meltdown from me. Hard to meltdown on things you have no control over.

So a few hundredths or 1-2?

Who cares.

It might be 0.05 which could give an inch. Maybe slightly more...but that type of precip output could easily become 0.01" in reality. A coating to an inch is a good expectation...and don't be shocked if it ends up flurries.

The first week of February still looks good for some sort of storm, however, we may have to deal with a similar situation to where the favorable conditions for cyclogenesis are just a bit too far east.  Hopefully the northern stream will have a chance to dig deeper and a little further west.  

2002/2003 and 1966 1967 comback years, with 67 being Donnie baseballs analog I like it.

1966-67      9.9   0.5  23.5  22.9   3.3      60.1

2002-03   3.6   9.6   4.2  39.9   8.1   2.3    67.7

We're trailing by 5 runs with one out in the top of the 6th. 

We've already stranded a dozen runners and the opposition's closer is lights out.

Here's the CPC D8 and D11 GEFS analog patterns....you can see the immense potential just looking at the dates, but you can also see that about 20% of them were duds...something to keep in mind and it matches what many of our thoughts are....favorable going forward, but favorable doesn't guarantee anything

500hgtcompsup610.gif

500hgtcompsup814.gif

Here's the CPC D8 and D11 GEFS analog patterns....you can see the immense potential just looking at the dates, but you can also see that about 20% of them were duds...something to keep in mind and it matches what many of our thoughts are....favorable going forward, but favorable doesn't guarantee anything

500hgtcompsup610.gif

500hgtcompsup814.gif

Glad you did this because if I did I would guarantee Scooter would be posting next with a ANAL  log. Some people will never understand your disclaimer, it is not even worth it.

if you mean this January ...I think the majors are still running positive for this month.  worth a check -

Glad you did this because if I did I would guarantee Scooter would be posting next with a ANAL  log. Some people will never understand your disclaimer, it is not even worth it.

Nice to see 03 and 67 in their, lol. We have a chance we just need a role player to step in and start hitting line drives, no need for 3 run homers, but Grand slams are always nice.

Most people look at analogs and obsess over the snow...longwave pattern is much more important. The snow part is just about impossible to forecast. You can give probabilistic forecasts on that front, but then the deterministic crowd will get on your back about being too wishy washy and not sticking your neck out on the line.

Glad you did this because if I did I would guarantee Scooter would be posting next with a ANAL log. Some people will never understand your disclaimer, it is not even worth it.

I know what they mean, but I think some don't understand how to use them. I'm not implicating you.....just saying some get their weenies all stiff when they see those years.

Archived