northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally moving in with a +PNA and with the consistent bad luck we get a +NAO. We are literally in a major snow drought and a possible La Niña next winter. It seems we can't even get a winter anymore in the DMV. I am just frustrated with the consistent let downs!!!

Finally moving in with a +PNA and with the consistent bad luck we get a +NAO. We are literally in a major snow drought and a possible La Niña next winter. It seems we can't even get a winter anymore in the DMV. I am just frustrated with the consistent let downs!!!

I believe statistically a Nino is favored next winter. One of the mets mentioned it a few weeks ago I believe. Where you getting your information/what are you basing it on. Gut?

I believe statistically a Nino is favored next winter. One of the mets mentioned it a few weeks ago I believe. Where you getting your information/what are you basing it on. Gut?

Well, a nina post neutral after nina hasn't happened in the tri-monthlies in the last 60 years or so. I guess statistically it would indicate odds against but such a small set of data doesn't really help make the case exclusively. Leaning towards another neutral or nino is the smarter hedge but still. 

02-03 would be a nice analog for next year....LOL

Well, a nina post neutral after nina hasn't happened in the tri-monthlies in the last 60 years or so. I guess statistically it would indicate odds against but such a small set of data doesn't really help make the case exclusively. Leaning towards another neutral or nino is the smarter hedge but still. 

Most of the dynamic models have the SSTA having above normal temps in the nino region by next June. I worry some about being in a neg pdo regime.

Most of the dynamic models have the SSTA having above normal temps in the nino region by next June. I worry some about being in a neg pdo regime.

Chances are we have a Nino or neutral next winter, with a Nino the more likely of the 2 based on my research...I made a quick post about it maybe a week ago

Next years niño better than this years?

gotta be better. I do think the odds strongly favor most of the rest of the winter having a negative AO as the ssw has been pretty impressive. If so, you got to think we'll get lucky somewhere down the line and have blocking in the right place to get a moderate storm or two. Of course, I could be suffering from I wanta see snow syndrome, a common affliction here.

gotta be better. I do think the odds strongly favor most of the rest of the winter having a negative AO as the ssw has been pretty impressive. If so, you got to think we'll get lucky somewhere down the line and have blocking in the right place to get a moderate storm or two. Of course, I could be suffering from I wanta see snow syndrome, a common affliction here.

affliction? it's the right of passage

:lol:

They also had us in a firm weak-mod nino this winter before a complete collapse. Honestly, I would only be surprised if we slipped back to a mod nina or cooler. Neutralish or nino would be the way to go. It's just such a long way....

Can't we just get a little snow this weekend? I mean seriously...

wasnt the euro just a few days ago suppressing the storm for tomorrow now which will end up hitting New England. Different situation i guess. Either way...its not snowing anytime soon here

While I think the euro/GFS suppressed solution is more likely than the NAM/GGEm solution the former is not a done deal as it all depends on how strong the northern stream is relative to the southern one and the models are notorious for not handling the impulses and shape of the northern vortex well in the longer time ranges.

They also had us in a firm weak-mod nino this winter before a complete collapse. Honestly, I would only be surprised if we slipped back to a mod nina or cooler. Neutralish or nino would be the way to go. It's just such a long way....

Can't we just get a little snow this weekend? I mean seriously...

Nope.

Archived